Do I need a new router for Fios Quantum?
jeffjaco1175

My Current Router is 2 years old.  Do I need to upgrade?

0 Likes
Re: Do I need a new router for Fios Quantum?
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

Depends on which Quantum package you have.

If your router is 2 years old it's probably wireless G which can theoretically handle up to 54Mbps.

Upgrading to a new wireless N router will be able to move data faster than that and give you extended range.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

What speeds are you ordering and does your old router have a revision number? You may want gigabit ports (which I think only Rev. I has) if your connection is greater than 100mbps, but otherwise your wired connection should be fine.

For WiFi, you should get a new router if you want to see close to those speeds from any decent distance but get one off the internet/ in store and not via Verizon*. There latest router Rev I is not that great and you can get a better router off the internet for cheaper. (you'd just need to hook it up behind your old one)

*Unless you can get them to give it to you for free. 

0 Likes
jeffjaco1175

I currently had the  15 Mbps, they are offering a promotion for 25 to 50.

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

With 15, 25, or 50; the old router should be fine.

If you have the chance to upgrade to a Revision I router take it but they may hesitate to give you one.  You might have luck going to a Verizon store and seeing if they have to swap yours out with.

As I mentioned before, wireless G can handle up to 54mbps or so but with N you'd get a stronger signal on your WiFi network and the Revision I has gigabit ports which can speed up transfer of files from computer to computer within your house if you transfer movies, music, and things like that (assuming the computers also have gigabit NICs).

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Do the upgrade and then do some speed tests  and real life tests (i.e. Netflix) around your home on WiFi. If happy, stick with what you have, if not buy a new router. 

I can promise you 2 things:

1. No G router will actually give you 54mbps down. Typically 1/2 of the theoratical rate (for all standards) is your actual speed even at close range.
  2. Unless you get it for free, buying the newest Verizon router is not a good idea. Get one online and you will definately come out ahead. Only real downside is needing to keep the old FIOS router which can leave a somewhat bulky set-up. 
0 Likes
My router is about 8 years old do I need a new one??
ssor1960

0 Likes
Re: My router is about 8 years old do I need a new one??
Ace_TX

That Router has or is nearing the end of its life. 

I am surprised it was not already swapped out by Verizon in the first place. 

Likely if you contact them they would offer you a newer one with same or better capabilites just to get it off of the network. 

In 8 years many technology advances have happened and you are not getting any of them for use where you are.

I assume you have FIOS.  This is the FIOS internet board. 

FIOS is Fiber. That is very fast to the house

Inside the house your speed from point of access to the router is very fast.

From the router to you computer or other devices is only as fast as the router will allow

Then the speed is as fast as your Verizon subscription plan allows. 

Odds are the Router you have now is barely able to hand 10 Mbps and possibly 54 Mbps of speed if that.  Most base Routers with FIOS handle up to 54 Mbps these days and those are the base bare bone minimum routers.  You could then subscribe to any plan up to and including the 50 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up plan.  There is only one faster than that one and that is 75 Mbps down and 35 Mbps up.  That would require the newest Router that has B/G/N capabilities.  It also has Gbps ports on it.  However you need to have Gbps nic cards to use that or the new fast AC Hotspot to run behind this Router.

But to put it simply.  It would be best for you to contact Verizon.  Tell them what you have, and let them know what you are willing to spend and ask what is the best you can get for what you are willing to spend.  Then see where that gets you.  You may be surprised at what Verizon is willing to do for you considering just how old that router/modem is.

0 Likes
Re: My router is about 8 years old do I need a new one??
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Unless the client devices (e.g. TV, PS3, etc.) support the Wireless N networking standard there is no need to upgrade to a wireless N router.

0 Likes