Does MI424WR Rev.I support 200/200?
VTech1

Hi,

Does the MI424WR Rev. I router support 200/200 service if connected via wired Ethernet to the ONT? My Verizon speed test results are 145/127 Mbps. The router specs indicate it handles Gigabit speeds, but an Internet search found someone else with a similar problem and quoting a Verizon tech saying that the MI424 does not support 200/200. So is someone using a MI424 with 200/200 service and getting that speed?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does MI424WR Rev.I support 200/200?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Rev I. Actiontec handles wired speeds up to a gigabit.  In order to get those speeds, it must be connected to the ONT using Ethernet WAN.  Coax WAN is limited to around 175Mbps, however Verizon shouldn't have deployed it for speeds above 100Mbps.  Can you confirm if your WAN connection from the ONT is coax or Ethernet?

That said, it's WiFi is woefully slow by today's standards and it is out of support.  I 2nd Cang_Household's recommendation that you upgrade to a newer router, as it isn't getting security updates anymore.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would give you a tentative yes. Nevertheless, the MI424WR Rev. I is End of Life and End of Support as of September 2020. If you own or rent the router, you are advised to recycle the router and upgrade to either the G1100 or G3100. OR, use your own router if you do not have Fios TV service.

VTech1

Thank you for your reply, but a tentative yes that the MI424 will support 200/200 service does not give me a lot of confidence that an upgraded router will solve the problem if the existing router should work. I know the MI424 is old, but if it is supposed to work I wonder why some Verizon tech would say it doesn't except to get you to upgrade. I only found one post where someone got about the same speed as I did with the MI424 on 200/200 service. I really like to see someone post that they got 200/200 or 400/400 which is theoretically possible unless the specs are wrong and this is not a Gigabit router.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whether MI424WR Rev. I has the necessary performance to handle 300/300 or not, I still recommend you to upgrade to a newer router, such as G1100, G3100, or buy your own router if you do not have TV service. Since the Rev. I is End of Support/End of Life, no security firmware updates will be developed and pushed. So, it is not a good idea to operate something with outdates firmware on the public Internet.

You can buy a Fios-G1100 off Ebay, used, for $37 with Verizon firmware. Verizon will associate that router to your account and handle firmware updates and technical support. Otherwise, you can always buy your own router with overkill features like Multi-WAN, VLANs, LAG, ACL, and VPNs.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Rev I. Actiontec handles wired speeds up to a gigabit.  In order to get those speeds, it must be connected to the ONT using Ethernet WAN.  Coax WAN is limited to around 175Mbps, however Verizon shouldn't have deployed it for speeds above 100Mbps.  Can you confirm if your WAN connection from the ONT is coax or Ethernet?

That said, it's WiFi is woefully slow by today's standards and it is out of support.  I 2nd Cang_Household's recommendation that you upgrade to a newer router, as it isn't getting security updates anymore.

VTech1

I want to make sure that there is not some other issue, that is preventing me from getting 200/200 service.  The issue is whether or not the MI424 can handle 200/200 service, even if it is at its End of Service.  End of Service should not mean that the router which is specified to be a Gigabit router cannot perform that task. I can live with the fact that the MI424 will not work and I am willing to purchase a new router if that was the case, but I want someone to verify that fact.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As I said, it can handle speeds up to a gigabit on wired.  What more do you want?

VTech1

Thanks for the reply. You stated that yes it can handle speeds up to 1 Gigabit on wired Ethernet WAN. Is that based on the specs or do you have or know of actual experience? And yes, I am using wired Ethernet from the ONT to the router. What more do I want? I want someone with actual experience to say that they used the MI424 on 200/200 service or better with no issues. I am not the only one in this forum that has an issue with 200/200 service with the MI424. I am aware of the WiFi limitations of the MI424 but I mainly use wired Ethernet so that is not an issue for me. 

I am aware that there are probably not many folks still using the MI424; that when they upgrade their FIOS service, Verizon probably convinced them to upgrade their router. Did Verizon do this because they know the MI424 would not work at the high speed as someone claims they were told by a Verizon tech or for some other reason, like better WiFi performance,  sell or rent more routers, etc.?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello VTech, let me make some flow diagrams for you.

Your MI424WR Rev. I is not delivering 200/200 -> does other people get 200/200 on MI424WR Rev. I?

-> If the answer is positive, you can perhaps conclude your Rev. I is defective, therefore changing the router is necessary.

-> If the answer is negative, you can perhaps conclude all Rev. I is incapable of delivering 200/200, therefore changing the router is necessary.

Either way, you will perhaps reach the same conclusion.

Technically, you can pull your Rev. I from your network and test its NAT throughput under a controlled condition. Connect a computer's NIC to the WAN port and another NIC to the LAN port, then run iperf across the two NICs through the router. You should get your answer.

VTech1

Thank you for the iperf suggestion. I will try that when I have time in a couple of days and post my results. I have used iperf in the past and forgot about that tool.

To add to your flow diagram, it could be possible that the answer is positive and that the Rev. I is not defective, then a new router is not necessary but that would mean there is a problem with Verizon. I was thinking there could be a problem with the Ethernet wiring from the router to the ONT the limits the speed but I ruled that out because if there was a wiring problem I would expect the download and upload speed to match. 

0 Likes