Dropped DSL Connection
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's been my experience with Verizon the past few years that they will yes you to death but have little interest in actually fixing what's wrong with DSL. Verizon doesn't offer Fios where I live so DSL is the only option right now. I have been losing my connection at least 10 times a day for a few months now. For my equipment I have a new Actiontec GT784WNV modem with a dedicated shielded twisted pair line connected directly to the Verizon box. I have ferrite core filters on all the power lines near or associated with the modem. All my devices except my phones are hard wired to the modem. The Verizon switching station is about 1 mile from my house. I am told fiber runs to that station and copper runs from there out. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Verizon technicians and twice they have sent people out to my location to fix the problem. Each time they tell me the problem is fixed but nothing changes. If I'm streaming a movie I usually have to get up and restart the modem at least once sometimes more. I actually lost the connection while I was writing this and had to reset the modem. One of the technicians hinted that the old copper phone lines might be the problem. Since Verizon's push is on Fios (I have been told they don't ever plan on expanding it here) I don't believe they have any desire to spend the money to actually fix anything associated with DSL. Our small cable company has been bought out by a major player in that market. They are supposed to take over by the third quarter of this year. When that happens it's goodbye Verizon DSL for me. I just can't deal with the battle any longer.

0 Likes
Re: Dropped DSL Connection
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the issue a memory leak like what is addressed in Actiontec GT784WNV router memory leak 

I have had an Actiontec GT784WNV router (combination modem + router) installed for about a month now, replacing my ancient Westell modem + Linksys router combination. This new Actiontec router loses network connectivity and reboots itself once or twice a day, pretty much every day.

A Google search indicated that this might be a memory issue, and indeed if I check memory via the Actiontec status page (192.168.1.1 -> Status -> Gateway Utilization), I see memory usage of about 46% just after a reboot; then it steadily climbs to about 96% over the course of several hours before finally rebooting itself. All is well after the reboot (memory usage back down to 40-something percent), but then the process repeats.

The memory usage grows as the router is used (i.e. does not grow much at all overnight, but does grow during the day when I'm actively using my network connection), so it seems that the memory leak is directly associated with my network usage.

I have the latest firmware installed (GT784WN-VZ-1.1.22).

Or is it like as you say ?

If it not as you say and is a memory leak, I suggest the following..

#1 Get your own separate router.

That could either a hardware one like the OP of that linked thread or DIY.

If DIY NAT router could either be a pure DIY NAT router or a Linux/Unix distro designed for connection sharing (for example pfSense ).

And it could be...

a) ..Spare

b) ..New bought (HP/Dell, ETC..)

c) ..New built/assembled - (Buying the case, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HD, ETC..) typically by your self.

#2 Make sure that the RJ-45 WAN port works on your separate router.

#3 Put that modem combo into bridge mode.

#4 Reconfigure your separate router for your connection.

a) PPPoE ?

b) Pure Static IP ?

c) Pure DHCP ?

Note: If pure DHCP in your separate router you will need to spoof/clone the WAN MAC/Phyiscal/Hardware Address of the Actiontec GT784WNV.

For example first the part of my MAC/Phyiscal/Hardware Address for my computer is 30-9C-23 (Or that could be written as 30:9C:23). While I know it is possible to spoof/clone mine and how to do that, I am not telling what the other half of it is..

#5 Profit 🙂

#6 ...That is until you get cable for: Faster download/upload, the dsl lines really dies, ETC...

#7 Note as a modem it is ok but as a router and note post 5

@Smith6612 wrote:

I would have to agree with  

Considering what they said, that sounds to me what the issue is.

This is not say that you are wrong or for that matter even if I am correct now that in the future what you say the issue is with the DSL line will not happen.

Good luck.

0 Likes
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Actiontec doesn't reboot itself. Once it loses connection it will continue in that state until I reboot it myself. Last night when I was watching a Netflix movie I lost connection 4 times. At one point Verizon thought it might be my modem so they sent me a D-Link DSL-2750B as a replacement. That modem lost connection worse than the Actiontec. When a Service technician finally did come out he gave me a brand new Actiontec. He also looked at my setup and wiring and said it was as good as it can get. I started using the new modem and was still getting disconnected throughout the day. Just in case it was an issue with the new modem I swapped it out with my old Actiontec (only a year old) but still no luck. This all started about 4 months ago. Before that I would hardly ever get disconnected. 2 days ago a phone technician had me change some values in my Verizon/ Actiontec dashboard (192.168.1.1). He also said he was making some changes on his end that should fix the problem. It did not.

0 Likes
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also I am not using the Actiontec modem with any other router. It is a stand alone modem for Verizon DSL. 

0 Likes
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also my memory usage seems to run at a constant 53% whenever I check it. 

0 Likes
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Faster cable speeds would be nice but that really isn't the issue. The 6 mbps I usually get works good enough for HD streaming although it can't really handle 4K programming. I wouldn't even be on here if the DSL service would just work without having to fight with it all the time. Verizon doesn't sell DSL and say it will provide me with high speed internet but I won't ever have a stable connection. I have DirecTV. I pay the bill the signal comes and I watch TV. I have electricity. I pay the bill I plug stuff in and it works. I have phone service. I pay the bill and use the phones. I have DSL. I pay the bill every month and I have to educate myself on the intricacies of the entire DSL process. I have to learn about modems and all the settings and how to read and change them. I have to search the internet to find out how to maximize my own wiring and setup to reduce any possible interference. I have to spend hours on the phone and go on forums like this just to try and make it function. I am learning a lot but I had no idea what I was getting into when I purchased this service from Verizon.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I quoted you at

DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US ISPs non-cable -> Verizon DSL -> What causes dropped connections?

Direct URL https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32789790-What-causes-dropped-connections

I quote only JRave's (user number #1162040) post on 6/18/2020 at 8:52 pm, his/her/their fist part

Its mostly hardware issues, but they can be on either end of the line. When I used the Verizon supplied modems as gateways I had to reboot it every 5 to 7 days. After changing it to modem only mode and using my router for wifi etc... I only have to reboot the modem maybe once a month or so.

and their summary.

So in summary you can have 3 issues causing disconnections.

1) Your gateway is being overworked and dropping connections because it can't handle both the Modem's job and the wifi/router's job.

2) There is an issue on Verizon's end causing problems. Sometimes those problems resolve themselves, other times you need to call and get someone to fix it on their end. (good luck with that half the time)

3) There is signal interference happening somewhere on the line that might not be easily fixable by you or Verizon. Tracking down that Interference can be tricky. In my case I was able to figure it out by looking at the frequency channels and comparing it to local am radio signals. But sometimes it can be from something like lights/decorations that are not properly shielded that are near the phone line between your NID and the CO.

Note for number one, that they agree that you should use a separate NAT router and put that modem combo into bridge mode.

While getting a separate NAT router and putting the modem combo into bridge mode might not solve the issue, I will add more two cents.

For Cable if and when you get that, it is better to have a separate NAT router from your modem.

0 Likes