Up until about a few months ago my Speed (Down) was over 1000kbits/sec. Now I'm at 864 and the tech I spoke to months and months ago said when I was over 1000 that I was recieving a great speed for my area. Now I get this. I can't load facebook games quick enough, my youtube is 10x slower then before and no matter what I did I can't get it to be any higher. There have been no line changes in my home and I haven't added or removed any electronics. Until a few months ago my modem kept going down on me which happened for a few weeks then it stopped and now I get these speeds. I have tried an old modem we had but forgot to return and got the same speed. I have surfed the web and found out this is an ongoing problem. And read a few stories where a tech was messing around in the box for the area and messed something up. I doubt thats the case but what could be the problem. I been faithfully paying for my service for years and intend to keep it as long as I can get this resolved. Thanks for reading this
#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.
#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from you modem?
If you don't know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem:
a) What is the brand and model of your modem?
b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, what is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?
#3 Even if you know how to the Transceiver Statistics from you modem: If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, what is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?
1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (126.96.36.199) 0 ms 0 ms 1 ms
2 g3-0.bb1.dca.giganews.com (188.8.131.52) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
3 xe-8-0-7.ar2.iad1.us.nlayer.net (184.108.40.206) 1 ms 1 ms 6 ms
4 TenGigE0-2-4-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET (220.127.116.11) 0 ms TenGigE0-1-0-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET (18.104.22.168) 0 ms TenGigE0-2-4-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET (22.214.171.124) 0 ms
5 0.xe-5-0-1.XL4.IAD8.ALTER.NET (126.96.36.199) 1 ms 0 ms 0 ms
6 0.xe-15-1-2.RES-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net (188.8.131.52) 0 ms 0 ms 0.so-3-2-0.RES-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net (184.108.40.206) 1 ms
7 P11-0-0.HRBGPA-LCR-02.verizon-gni.net (220.127.116.11) 16 ms 13 ms 13 ms
8 P12-0-0.HRBGPA-LCR-01.verizon-gni.net (18.104.22.168) 13 ms 12 ms 14 ms
9 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 14 ms 17 ms 13 ms
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
Transceiver Statistics Transceiver Revision: 188.8.131.52 Vendor ID Code: 4 Line Mode: G.DMT Mode Data Path: Interleaved Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 864 160 Margin (dB) 17.5 31.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 51.0 30.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 16.2 11.3
Modem : Westell 6100F
Wireless Router: Belkin N Wireless Router (F5D8236-4 v3000)
Highspeed Internet Package (.5 to 1mbps). I was running at 1mbps since I purchased my services then it went to almost half of the quoted speeds set for this package. And the decrease has degraded so much of what I was able to do and perform before.