Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Dynamic DNS fails with no-ip and own second-level domain with Actiontec MI242WR
samham93

I'm using the Dynamic DNS feature of my Actiontec MI424WR with no-ip.com to update a few of my hostnames.

So far I can update the following, replaceing [mydomain.com] with my actual domain.:

www.[mydomain.com]

ftp.[mydomain.com]

samham93.[somefreedomain.com]

However, I can't seem to update [mydomain.com], which I own.  Updating on every other client I've tried works flawlessly.

The error I get is:  "Error - Hostname supplied does not exist"

In the advanced system log it shows:  Update error, server response = [mydomain.com]:2

Is this a bug in the firmware or Verizon intentionally blocking second-level domains in the dynamic DNS feature?

My router:

Software Version:
Release Date:Oct 11 2011
Platform:Marvell Feroceon SoC
Tag:Ntag-bhr-revI-40-19-22
Compilation Flags:LIC=../jpkg_actiontec_mv.lic CONFIG_BHR_REV_I=y ACTION_TEC_VERIZON=y DIST=FEROCEON
Hardware Version:5A
Hardware WAN MAC Address:-ommited-

0 Likes
Re: Dynamic DNS fails with no-ip and own second-level domain with Actiontec MI242WR
Adi3
Enthusiast

Did you ever get this resolved - I have the same problem.

@samham93 wrote:

I'm using the Dynamic DNS feature of my Actiontec MI424WR with no-ip.com to update a few of my hostnames.

So far I can update the following, replaceing [mydomain.com] with my actual domain.:

www.[mydomain.com]

ftp.[mydomain.com]

samham93.[somefreedomain.com]

However, I can't seem to update [mydomain.com], which I own.  Updating on every other client I've tried works flawlessly.

The error I get is:  "Error - Hostname supplied does not exist"

In the advanced system log it shows:  Update error, server response = [mydomain.com]:2

Is this a bug in the firmware or Verizon intentionally blocking second-level domains in the dynamic DNS feature?

My router:

Software Version:
Release Date:Oct 11 2011
Platform:Marvell Feroceon SoC
Tag:Ntag-bhr-revI-40-19-22
Compilation Flags:LIC=../jpkg_actiontec_mv.lic CONFIG_BHR_REV_I=y ACTION_TEC_VERIZON=y DIST=FEROCEON
Hardware Version:5A
Hardware WAN MAC Address:-ommited-

0 Likes
Re: Dynamic DNS fails with no-ip and own second-level domain with Actiontec MI242WR
dslr595148
Super User
Super User

@samham93 wrote:

Updating on every other client I've tried works flawlessly.

By that you mean usng a different client such as one that you download and use on your computer?

0 Likes