FIOS 35/35 ultimate has same speed 21/11 as my old connection
Snapper3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased the FIOS 35/35 ultimate hd plan not because I wanted more TV channels but to get the 35/35 speed on the internet.  But, I see no change.  Speed tests still show the 21/11 speed that I had previously with my other FIOS plan.  What gives?  Can I get my money back for what seems like false advertising?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS 35/35 ultimate has same speed 21/11 as my old connection
Hubrisnxs
Legend

or you could try to get your PC upto the 35/35 speed if you really want it.

if you give us more info we could probably help you get there.

like what operating system

are you wireless or wired

what router do you have.

what speed test site are you using to test your speed

&

have you ran the verizon optimizer tool?   http://www.verizon.net/optimize  (test speeds using verizon's site, don't use the other ones)

http://speedtest.verizon.net

Snapper3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the kind reply.

My existing equipment is not an issue, since it was running my old 25/15 connection fine at 21/11.  No amount of tweaking with registry IP settings or similar will make a 10+ difference. And, the speed numbers are roughly identical on both by XP and Mac.  So, it's not my hardware and not the IP settings of my operating systems.  However, since you asked, Verizon's "optimizer" reports that my settings are already optimized and it was the Verizon speed test that I used.

I suppose it could be the router Verizon supplied, if my old router cannot handle the higher 35/35 speed, for example.  But, don't you think that Verizon's documentation and sales people would have mentioned the need to purchase a new router at some point in the process of selling me the 35/35 package?

No.  My suspicion is that Verizon has not yet implemented the 35/35 request, although it now is past the service date and the bundled extra TV channels are now available.  If that's the case, then the only hope would be the dreaded phone call in hope of finding a real person who can do the fix.  Sigh.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@snail wrote:

Thanks for the kind reply.

My existing equipment is not an issue, since it was running my old 25/15 connection fine at 21/11.  No amount of tweaking with registry IP settings or similar will make a 10+ difference. And, the speed numbers are roughly identical on both by XP and Mac.  So, it's not my hardware and not the IP settings of my operating systems.  However, since you asked, Verizon's "optimizer" reports that my settings are already optimized and it was the Verizon speed test that I used.

I suppose it could be the router Verizon supplied, if my old router cannot handle the higher 35/35 speed, for example.  But, don't you think that Verizon's documentation and sales people would have mentioned the need to purchase a new router at some point in the process of selling me the 35/35 package?

No.  My suspicion is that Verizon has not yet implemented the 35/35 request, although it now is past the service date and the bundled extra TV channels are now available.  If that's the case, then the only hope would be the dreaded phone call in hope of finding a real person who can do the fix.  Sigh.

It's certainly possible that their order hasn't completed yet, if you sign on to verizon.com (you may have to register there) you should be able to see the status of your order.    there also is ONE specific ONT (outside or optical network terminal) that can not do the 35/35 upload package. and some people have verizon come out and replace those with the newer one.  you can see the model's in the box itself when you open it up, and I am PRETTY sure it's the ONT 610 that can't do the 35/35.  all others should do fine.  

as long as you are on a wired machine, and optimized per their website, then testing at speedtest.verizon.net should yield strong results if they completed the provisioning change.  there are tons of people here and at dslreports.com that get that speed, so they can deliver it, but it sounds like there is a disconnect somewhere, either in the order process/provisioning or with the equipment, and the router is a "possibility"    their actiontec's and westell's pull that speed no problem, so if you have one of those routers, it can handle it but there might be a problem with it. 

jbbrown

Just upgraded mine last week, from 25/5 to te new 35/35. Now I am running speed is even lower that before, I was getting about 20/5 and now I am getting 6/8 on the average. What a big upgrade!

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

Are you running wired or wireless? I upgraded to the 35/35 package, but never got that since I was wireless. I was averaging 15/14 at best wireless. Once I went wired I am better than 35/35 at times.

If wireless there is not much you can do unless you can get a cleaner connection. Remember the signal is going to bounce, especially if your router and PC are in separate rooms. There is interference, and a whole host of other issues. What security encryption will have an effect also.

I have found that when Verizon says 35/35 they are talking wired only.

Steve

utdrub

I was just going to post and let you know that I'm in the same boat. I had the 25/15 package and was seeing 25-28 download and 8-12 upload. I upgraded to 35/35,and now see 35-38 download and the same 8-12 upload. They are going to continue to see what they can do to get it bumped up. It is a new community and verizon wired it. I am using a hardline to the router and have optimized everything they've said. I tried the ONT hard reset with a fios tech today and still no luck. The verizon site claims i'm pulling 36/22 or so, but speakeasy and speedtest are 36/11 at best. Something is an issue here...i've got a westell router, and obviously the new ONT. I'll let you know what they determine.

0 Likes
jnmarshall
Enthusiast - Level 3

@snail wrote:

It is possible the request has been fulfilled but they forgot to provision your speed. I had that happen when I went from 5/2 to 10/2. For 4 months I was billed the higher rate for service never received. Sadly, it does require the dreaded phone call. I wasn't even compensated for the price difference! That would have required another dreaded call and wait on hold for the billing department.

Good luck!

vanoliza

Did you remember to optimize your new speed and did it work correctly,honestly I had the original 15/5 then upgraded to 25/25 and really can't tell the difference but it could be my PC has to much baggage although it is running at its proper score,I know I didn't go to Verizon's optimization page when I upgraded so I figured I'd through that out there also I am not very computer savvy either so..Just trying to help!

0 Likes
bigal20

I have the same problem.

0 Likes