FIOS DCHP lease
nation1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey so I have a actiontec and I want to change my ip without having to leave it off for 2 hours or having to contact fios support, An agent told me I should go to my router page and click renew, release, apply however it doesn't change my ip so I'm wondering if I need the fios gateway router in order to change my ip that way?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS DCHP lease
jonjones1
Legend

@nation wrote:

Hey so I have a actiontec and I want to change my ip without having to leave it off for 2 hours or having to contact fios support, An agent told me I should go to my router page and click renew, release, apply however it doesn't change my ip so I'm wondering if I need the fios gateway router in order to change my ip that way?

I don’t have your router, however in your routers interface 192.168.1.1 login name and then enter password. Go to main router settings and look under DHCP. When there there should be a Release/Renew setting. You do a release and immediately unplug the router before it can restart. If it restarts it must be done yet again. So RELEASE and pull power cord at once. 

nation1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also if I set my lease time to 1 minute will my ip change if I turn off my router for 1-2 minutes?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@nation wrote:

Also if I set my lease time to 1 minute will my ip change if I turn off my router for 1-2 minutes?

No it will be the same. 

0 Likes
nation1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That works but is there anyway to change the ip without restarting the router?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@nation wrote:

That works but is there anyway to change the ip without restarting the router?

No, that lease will stay the same. And why would you want to keep messing with your DHCP lease? Leave it alone. 

Messing with your router is not a good idea.

0 Likes
nation1
Enthusiast - Level 3

How am I messing with it? All I'm trying to do is change the ip without having to reboot it, a support agent did it once but they have different tools so I was wondering.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can try releasing IP and then renewing.

A reboot probably won't give you a new IP as dhcp server will remember your IP and give it right back.

jonjones1
Legend

@nation wrote:

How am I messing with it? All I'm trying to do is change the ip without having to reboot it, a support agent did it once but they have different tools so I was wondering.

The whole point is why, do you need to keep changing your IP address?

often times people need to change their ip or have their IP address changed due to it possibly being on a block list. Or sometimes a spammer will wish to change the IP address to send “spam” through a mail server or program.

they think this protects them from discovery but Verizon keeps records on what they lease out.

Same for scammers trying to avoid discovery.

residential customers do not need to keep changing their IP. There is no logical reason to do it.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There have been reported problems with people being able to access some sites (not blacklisting but routing). Changing their ip to a different subnet (hit or miss) can help correct that issue.

0 Likes