FIOS QOS for Xbox live help.
redrex003
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use the actiontec mi424wr Rev. E router/modem combo they supply. I've recently discovered QOS (Quality of Service) and wanted to see if I had this setup right for Xbox live.

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/redrex003/?action=view&current=pic3.png

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/redrex003/?action=view&current=pic2.png

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/redrex003/?action=view&current=pic1.png

1.  Is this right?

2.  What is TCP Serialization?

2.  Are there any guides or something showing how to do this?

Re: FIOS QOS for Xbox live help.
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You may find this link useful:

Actiontec QOS PDF

redrex003
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ya I read that its kind of complicated and not really the way I'm trying to use QOS.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I haven't seen anyone really play with QoS with any kind of success around here. 

Most people just do the port forwarding for the Xbox Live and that usually helps out, or they may hardwire it vs wire it.  wireless

0 Likes
redrex003
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is hardwire vs. connecting to actiontec via ethernet cord?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

TCP serialization was kind of interesting to look up. 

I found this at cisco's website.   not sure if it helps you, but here it is. 

All circuits have a common characteristic known as serialization delay, which is the time it takes some unit of data to be serialized onto the circuit. It’s directly related to the bandwidth of the circuit and the technology employed. For instance, if I have a DS3, DS1, and a DS0, and I want to send a 1,500-byte packet (the maximum payload for a TCP/IP packet), the approximate serialization delay will be:

DS3: (1500 bytes * 8 bits/byte) / 44040192 bits/sec = .27 ms (approx)
DS1: (1500 bytes * 8 bits/byte) / 1572864 bits/sec = 8 ms (approx)
DS0: (1500 bytes * 8 bits/byte) / 65536 bits/sec = 183 ms (approx)

With some technologies, satellite in particular, the transmission delay of the circuit can be a factor as well. Actually, all circuits have some sort of transmission delay that varies with both distance and technology. A T1 leased-line across town will likely not have any measurable transmission delay, while a T1 frame relay circuit across the continent will have delay on the order of 50 to 80 ms. In those circumstances where you have measurable transmission delay, you will want to add it to the serialization delay to get a more accurate picture. 

A lot of fancy math to be found over there, so I think QoS tends to be more for professionals rather than the casual user.   It would be fun to learn, but I have only really played with it during testing environments, and not real world use.    so I couldn't give you anything but a starting ground.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@redrex003 wrote:

What is hardwire vs. connecting to actiontec via ethernet cord?

they mean the same thing in this case.  Hardwire is an ethernet cord, vs a wireless solution.     hardwire/ethernet performs a heckuva lot better than wireless 

I made a typo   😛  sorry.    

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

and here is what looks like a pretty decent tutorial on QOS And Gaming but for DD-WRT.   You can read it and it may help make sense of the items you're seeing in the actiontec, but some of the things may or may not match up.

I am going to read through it myself.   the only thing similiar we have seen is what anti-phish linked to earlier 

0 Likes
redrex003
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a specific question.

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/redrex003/?action=view&current=PIC4.png

My xbox 360 192.168.1.250 the one that says ethernet at the top.  When tweaking QOS is that just considered Ethernet, Ethernet broadband, Ethernet Coax or Network (Home office).  I have it conneted into the actiontec with an ethernet cord btw.

redrex003
Enthusiast - Level 2

?

0 Likes