FIOS WAN Disconnect w/new router
Edwin68

My old router died (AC68U), and I have recently tried two new ones, the ASUS 86U and the GT-AC5300.  After swapping over, both routers lose WAN connection after an hour or two of access.  This has gone one over several days.

I have heard that I need to release the DHCP, but I heard that the least time was around 3 hours anyway, and it has been days.  I would think it was the router, but don't believe that after trying two brand new ones.  I used the 86U for a day, and the last three days the GT-AC5300.

I haven't had a Actiontech router for at least a year, after I upgraded to Gigabit.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS WAN Disconnect w/new router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you log in to your router, what do you see?

Are you losing phyical connectivity or just logical?

Is it possible you have a bad ethernet cable?
How long does it go down for?

If more than a couple of minutes, have you checked ONT for any error lights?

0 Likes
Edwin68

Well, it turns out that two brand new ASUS routers, the RT86U and the GT-AC5300 must have had a firmware bug or a hardware flaw.  I ordered a 3rd and 4th router, the RT68U refurb and the Nighthawk XR500, and both worked flawlessly.  All routers had the latest firmware, and I even did a reset of them.

I am returning the other two.  Maybe its a firmware flaw, don't know, but after spending hours at this, I am pretty unhappy with their latest routers.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You mean the non Verizon routers? Verizon gives no guarantees on any non branded routers they provide.

hopefully you wrote Asus and the other router maker and told them of their issues?

glad it finally all worked out for you.

0 Likes
Edwin68

I did submit logs of the problem.  They indicated that I should RMA it.  What are the odds of two routers, different models, same problem.  Maybe they shared some firmware code base, or hardware.  If that was the case, there should be a ton of people having the problem.  Who knows.  During troubleshooting, I even switched ethernet cables, and moved the router right next to the ONT.  No difference.

At the end of the day, my refurb worked, which was the same model as my former bricked router, and the Netgear worked as well out of the box. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Firmware and firmware updates are tricky. Many times they flash properly and all runs as it should. It is not uncommon to have more than one router having to be replaced.

its like the old updates to cell phones. If you remember many of them were bricked by the code when updated.

i always recommend using routers outside of verizons branded ones. 

0 Likes