FIOS WIreless Home Coverage
mreggers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the 35/35 plan. When I direct connect it is fine. If I go wireless it goes to 10-20 and I can live with that, but when I go into the Living Room (router is in the back room study) I can not make a wireless connection or if I do it is extremely slow. Has anyone else has this problem and if so how do you resolve it? Is there a broadband booster I can use with the router to get a connection in the Living Room?  The Laptop is 3 years old do I need to get it a newer wireless card?  Thanks, Mark

0 Likes
Re: FIOS WIreless Home Coverage
prisaz
Legend

@mreggers wrote:

I have the 35/35 plan. When I direct connect it is fine. If I go wireless it goes to 10-20 and I can live with that, but when I go into the Living Room (router is in the back room study) I can not make a wireless connection or if I do it is extremely slow. Has anyone else has this problem and if so how do you resolve it? Is there a broadband booster I can use with the router to get a connection in the Living Room?  The Laptop is 3 years old do I need to get it a newer wireless card?  Thanks, Mark

I have seen many posts regarding the wireless and complaints about the router. I have an Actiotec and it is in my basement. Excellent signal two floors above and all other locations in the house. It even works in my car 30 feet from my house. I can even hit my neighbors FiOS router across the street while sitting at my kitchen table. Just my experience like you said wireless is going to be slower than a hardwired connection. But the Verizon router should be able to handle FiOS speeds with no problem.

What type of environment and where is the router located? City, suburbs, apartment, single family home, townhome?

An area with a high density of wireless devices can cause interference.

1. Log into the router and check to see what channel it is using, try setting it to different channels.

2. Possibly relocate the router.

Here is a link to a search for wireless connection. It may give you some ideas. There have been many postings regarding this issue. I hope the information is helpful.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?location=Board%3AFiOS_Internet&q=wireless...

Search results for wireless channel.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=true&filter=acceptedSolutions%2C...

0 Likes
Re: FIOS WIreless Home Coverage
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The other question to ask is, what is the wall material made out of?  If you have dry wall with wood beams should not be a problem.  If you have plaster walls that could be a big problem,  Also if the signal is to go through a wall that has a lot of books, big problem for wireless.  Signal gets absorbed into plaster and books.

0 Likes