FIOS installation for small condo building
brooklyn555

Hello,

I live in a small condo building with 8 units and a few of us want to get FIOS and the board is generally up for it. I have a couple of questions:

1) The building is not yet wired for FIOS but the neighborhood is and the cables in our area (NYC) run underground. How would getting FIOS to the building work? In particular, I wonder if they have to dig through the sidewalk in front of the building and if they'll be getting explicit permission for that from the board and how that process works - i.e. do they first come to evaluate and come up with a plan and then send it to the board for approval or do they just come and dig as they please.

2) The building has been pre-wired internally with coaxial and CAT cables (not sure if it's 5/5e/6, need to check) from the basement to all units. Is it possible to install FIOS and utilize those cables? If so what equipment would go where and does that limit what services we can get? I don't think it's possible to run additional cables internally and I don't know if the building would approve running them externally if they are visible.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Building FIOS installation approval process
brooklyn555

Hello,

I live in a small condo building that currently isn't wired for FIOS. I called verizon and asked how do we get the process started and they told me to open a request online for my apartment unit individually and they will get approval from the building. Last month I got a status change on my request to "Building Access Agreement In Progress" but no one from our condo board has received any communication/requests from verizon. How do I make sure they have the right contact information for the board and in general how do I check the details on the request status? I called the general verizon support number but they don't have any. more details than what's on the generic update that I got.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS installation for small condo building
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're talking to other users here.  If you want to talk to Verizon, try reaching out to their social media team.  You can do that two ways:

Both go the the same team; pick based on if you like to tweet or post.

My understanding is Verizon's current practice is to run fiber to each unit in a multiple dwelling unit building.  They likely will not install ONTs in the common area using the already installed coax and twisted pair.  But you'll have to talk to them to find out what they will do.

brooklyn555

How do I "talk to them"? I tried calling customer service but they couldn't give me any details or connect me to anyway and just said it's all "with engineering"...

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try the social media team using the info provided.  They can be better then the phone/chat reps.

0 Likes