FiOS Wall Ethernet ports not working in apartment complex.
ZooFish
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi guys,

I recently just moved into an apartment complex with a built in ONT unit in a closet. I am running the gigabit internet. The complex has wall ethernet ports and a coaxial wall port. My current setup is I have the provided FiOS router connected to the closet ONT unit via an ethernet cable. However, my wall ethernet ports are not working. 

What setup do I have to do to get the wall ethernet ports working? 

Do I need to connect a different router to the wall coaxial port and then set it up that wall? 

Any help is appreciated!! 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Wall Ethernet ports not working in apartment complex.
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

All the ethernet jacks should lead back to that main panel with the ONT. If they don’t already have rj45 ends on them you will have to put on the end or connect them into a patch panel. 
Also the router only has 4 ethernet ports so if you have or need more than 4 jack working you will need to pick up a gigabit ethernet switch. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

All the ethernet jacks should lead back to that main panel with the ONT. If they don’t already have rj45 ends on them you will have to put on the end or connect them into a patch panel. 
Also the router only has 4 ethernet ports so if you have or need more than 4 jack working you will need to pick up a gigabit ethernet switch. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Each Ethernet wall port should lead back to a central location.  You need to find that location, find the ends of each run, and plug them into the LAN ports on the router.

The particulars of how to plug the ends into the router will vary.  If the cables are there but don't have anything terminating them, you'll need to attach them to a plug or patch panel.  If you have a patch panel, or install one, you'll need short Ethernet cables to connect them to the router.

Hopefully the central location is near the ONT and router.

If you're not sure what to do, post pictures of the cable ends when you find them.