Fior g1100 before my own router?
raphster
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally got my gigabit service activated. My original wiring I had the ONT run to the my ASUS router via ethernet cable and then my ASUS to the G1100. This configuration I am able to get all my ASUS ports and WIFI working, but couldn't get to my any of the G1100 ports or WIFI to work. When I switch up the order using the same wires and run the ONT to the G1100 first and then from the G1100 to my ASUS router. I can get all the ports and WIFI working on both routers. Why does this order matter? I prefer to run my ASUS first as it has VPN  functionality and it's where the ethernet cable from the ONT is run to. I have only internet service, nothing else.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fior g1100 before my own router?
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have the Asus router working with Fios and are getting the service at gigabit speeds, I have to ask, "Why you are using the G1100 router at all?" Since you don't have Fios TV service, the G1100 isn't doing anything. If you just need more ports, buy a $40 8-port network switch. If you need a second wireless network access point, perhaps the G1100 has a use. I'd probably look into getting a second Asus router and put it in bridge mode. (You might investigate putting the G1100 into bridge mode, too.) I'd turn the G1100 off and put it on a shelf somewhere. (If you are paying rental fees for it, return it.)

One thing that you may be hitting against is the DHCP lease time. At one time - and I think this is still the case - the lease time from Verizon to the router on the other side of the ONT had a minimum of three hours, meaning once the G1100 gets a lease for an IP address (associated with the G1100's MAC address), no other lease will be offered to any other device with a different MAC address (i.e., the Asus router) for up to three hours. (Might happen in ten seconds depending on when that window happens to expire.)

View solution in original post

Re: Fior g1100 before my own router?
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have the Asus router working with Fios and are getting the service at gigabit speeds, I have to ask, "Why you are using the G1100 router at all?" Since you don't have Fios TV service, the G1100 isn't doing anything. If you just need more ports, buy a $40 8-port network switch. If you need a second wireless network access point, perhaps the G1100 has a use. I'd probably look into getting a second Asus router and put it in bridge mode. (You might investigate putting the G1100 into bridge mode, too.) I'd turn the G1100 off and put it on a shelf somewhere. (If you are paying rental fees for it, return it.)

One thing that you may be hitting against is the DHCP lease time. At one time - and I think this is still the case - the lease time from Verizon to the router on the other side of the ONT had a minimum of three hours, meaning once the G1100 gets a lease for an IP address (associated with the G1100's MAC address), no other lease will be offered to any other device with a different MAC address (i.e., the Asus router) for up to three hours. (Might happen in ten seconds depending on when that window happens to expire.)