Fios Extender, is it working?
MvD1

I have a Fios wifi extender hard wired to the router. It is in the room next to me and still I get a weak wifi signal. In MyFios I cannot see the extender and have no clue whether it is working. The light is solid white but I am not impressed. Does anyone know how I can see/test my Extender in MyFios? Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Extender, is it working?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can start by connecting a pc or laptop to one of the 2 ethernet ports on the back. If you're online then it's working. It should also clone the router's wifi settings. You can download a wifi analyzer app on an android phone/tablet to see if there are 2 access points with the Fios-XXXXX SSID. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can start by connecting a pc or laptop to one of the 2 ethernet ports on the back. If you're online then it's working. It should also clone the router's wifi settings. You can download a wifi analyzer app on an android phone/tablet to see if there are 2 access points with the Fios-XXXXX SSID. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you log into the Fios Extender and check whether the wireless is enabled?

From your description, it seems your wireless device is "stuck" with G3100's access point and refuses to connect to the closer E3200 access point. G3100 and E3200 support access point steering, but, access point steering is a largely a client decision. If a wireless device does not support access point steering, you may encounter issues like what you have described.

Another possibility is that the Fios Extender's SSIDs and PSKs are not the same as G3100's. To resolve this problem, you need to log into the Extender and manually set its SSIDs and PSKs to those of G3100.