Fios Gigabit Slow Wired Download Speeds
Fiosfan74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,  any help would be truly appreciated.  I have had gigabit internet for about a year and my wired download speeds are consistently between 400 and 650 mbps on Speedtest.net.  I know Verizon says they will only recognize tests from their site but before a brief switch to Xfinity, I had Fios internet and reached 900 mbps.  At that time I had the g1100 router.  When I switched back I got the g3100.  I should mention that Verizon also switched my ONT as it would not work when I switched back.  I have also done some testing.  I switched all my Ethernet cables to CAT 6.  Verizon’s router test on the Fios app claims I’m getting full gigabit to my home so I thought it maybe the g3100.  I connected the ONT directly to my Ethernet Jack - speed was still 600mbps!  Could it be the ONT??  Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Gigabit Slow Wired Download Speeds
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Speed test results vary widely.  I can get close to a gigabit on Verizon's test and Fast.com, but then get 400-600 on Speedtest.net.  Different servers, different network paths...

If you have a Verizon router, their test is really useful in figuring out if it's a problem between their network and the router or external to either.  If you're getting speeds near your subscribed speed on the Verizon router test but not on the device test, that points at non-Verizon issues.  If you're not getting the subscribed speed on the Verizon router test, contact them and see what they can do.

For best results, contact their social media support team.  You can reach them through several methods including tweeting @Verizonsupport or posting over in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  Both go to the same team; choose based on if you like to tweet or post.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Speed test results vary widely.  I can get close to a gigabit on Verizon's test and Fast.com, but then get 400-600 on Speedtest.net.  Different servers, different network paths...

If you have a Verizon router, their test is really useful in figuring out if it's a problem between their network and the router or external to either.  If you're getting speeds near your subscribed speed on the Verizon router test but not on the device test, that points at non-Verizon issues.  If you're not getting the subscribed speed on the Verizon router test, contact them and see what they can do.

For best results, contact their social media support team.  You can reach them through several methods including tweeting @Verizonsupport or posting over in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  Both go to the same team; choose based on if you like to tweet or post.

Fiosfan74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  I do want to add that my upload speeds are consist 900 mbps which confuses me 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would suggest you to ask a service representative to check the saturation on your GPON line. A GPON line comes from a Central Office and feeds around 16-64 customers or less. A GPON line has a total download capacity of 2.4Gbps and upload speed of 1.2Gbps. If a GPON line has too many gigabit users, the GPON line would be too congested and you won't get 980Mbps. Since customers likely to have more download than upload traffic, it would only affect the download speed while not the upload speed.

Verizon speed test uses UDP rather than TCP. I think the official speed test reports peak speed only. Gigabit connection has an acceptable range between 750-980Mbps.