Fios Internet Routers Question?
Wraith2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does verizon fios internet offer diffrent versions of actiontec routers? The reason i ask is because Actiontec just came out with a new router for verizon fios internet MI424WR (GigE). If Not why not? Also why does fios internet people keep saying they dont broadcast in Wireless N ? Actiontec has the routers for it? Specifically for Verizon Fios internet, at least that what Actiontec website says.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Internet Routers Question?
Wraith2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info. I am gonna assume that if i do get the latest model router from actiontec or verizon that it would support all functions, ie... VOD and widgets ect...... Im pretty sure but just thought i would ask.

View solution in original post

lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

I had fios installed jan 3 and the router they gave me was an N,

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon has N routers but they are in limited supply, limited markets, and usually because of that - only given to residential or business customers that subscribe to the 100MB + service that verizon offers,   I.E. if you have 50 mb or below, you probably won't get the router. 

if you do, then consider yourself lucky.  If you don't then do what most of us have done, and spend 25 bucks and get an N router (trendnet makes a nice one) and save yourself the headache of trying to hunt one down from Verizon.

They have been spotted on Ebay too, so you can try there.   they are rev F And G (rev f is not full N compliant, where G is)

The revisions are on the service tag of your router.

Only way I know you can get one from verizon is if a tech hands you one.  If you have a router mailed to you - there is no way for the rep or repair house to request a specific revision, and you will get whatever is on the shelf when the guy at the wherehouse packs it.   His work order just says "send router"  it doesn't have anything special to tell him to hunt for a specific revision. 

Wraith2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info. I am gonna assume that if i do get the latest model router from actiontec or verizon that it would support all functions, ie... VOD and widgets ect...... Im pretty sure but just thought i would ask.

24Peter
Enthusiast - Level 1

if you do, then consider yourself lucky.  If you don't then do what most of us have done, and spend 25 bucks and get an N router (trendnet makes a nice one) and save yourself the headache of trying to hunt one down from Verizon.

So I just ordered a cheep N-router from newegg.com. I have one of the Verizon Actiontec g-routers. What do I need to do to connect my new N-router when it arrives? I've read sometimes you need to "Bridge" the Verizon router, though the reviews on the newegg product page said the particular router I bought doesn't require bridging of the Verizon router.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

There are a lot of different ways to hook it up, this is the method I like the best