Fios Modem would not connect Galaxly 7 phones to WIFI 5GB
ddeke
Enthusiast - Level 1

I changed my SSIDs to separate the 2.4GB and 5GB WIFIs. I found that I couldn't get connected to 5gb on any of my Galaxy 7 phones or my new Samsung tablet. Looking at my firestick gave me the answer. The Verizon router changed my channel selections to automatic. I used an app called Wi-Fi analyzer. It showed the 5gb channel as 132. The firestick could not even see the SSID for 5gb. I set my channel to a lower number (36) and the firestick found the SSID and started working. Not only had that been fixed but, all the new Android Phones and Tablet worked as well.

Symptom: The phone trying to connect to 5gb just spins on connecting and never syncs. WPS will not work either.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Modem would not connect Galaxly 7 phones to WIFI 5GB
jonjones1
Legend

There is presently an issue on the 5 ghz band on Quantum routers.

however your tablet can use the 2.4 GHz until Verizon sends out a fix.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Modem would not connect Galaxly 7 phones to WIFI 5GB
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Amazon Fire Sticks don't support 5Ghz DFS channels, which is what Channel 132 is. The other devices, like the Samsung Galaxy S7, support DFS channels. On that note, Channels 132 through 140 of the DFS channels are not supported by all devices. So there's some complexities with support in general in the 5Ghz band.

Another factor besides what was mentioned above, is that Channel 132 is commonly used by Weather Radar. If you're picking up interference on that channel from Radar, the router and devices must stop communicating on it.

Some food for thought.