Fios connectivity problems when it rains
CYT1

I'm in Richmond, VA, and every time it rains my internet connection gets really patchy, intermittently keeps dropping off.

It's happened in the past and I was told by Verizon that it was wiring inside. I recently had my FIOS upgraded so they changed all hardware and the wiring to the router. Everything worked great till the next rains. Looks like Verizon need to upgrade the cables?!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios connectivity problems when it rains
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other users here.  If you want to reach Verizon support, you need to reach out them by chat or phone.  You can also reach their social media support team using the "Fios" page on Facebook, @verizonsupport on Twitter or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  All go to the same team; choose one based on your preference posting or tweeting.

If you'd like to diagnose the issue with us users, several of us would be happy to help.  To get started, let us know a few more details.  I'd like to know if your ONT is indoors or outdoors, which services are affected (internet, phone, tv), what model router your have, if you're experiencing the issue while using WiFi or Ethernet LAN, and if the router is connected by Ethernet WAN to the ONT.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other users here.  If you want to reach Verizon support, you need to reach out them by chat or phone.  You can also reach their social media support team using the "Fios" page on Facebook, @verizonsupport on Twitter or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  All go to the same team; choose one based on your preference posting or tweeting.

If you'd like to diagnose the issue with us users, several of us would be happy to help.  To get started, let us know a few more details.  I'd like to know if your ONT is indoors or outdoors, which services are affected (internet, phone, tv), what model router your have, if you're experiencing the issue while using WiFi or Ethernet LAN, and if the router is connected by Ethernet WAN to the ONT.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This looks like an outside fiber issue to me. The fiber line to your premise may be damaged. When it rains, water around the broken fiber can act as a medium to allow light to escape out of the fiber.

I advise you to contact official Fios support next time it rains. A service representative should be able to see the signal strength on your ONT. If the signal strength is below the threshold level, a field tech ticket will be opened for you.

Please contact 24/7/365 Fios support through social media channels (Twitter or Facebook) or online chat. Phone support should be your last resort for saving your precious time and reducing stress on support Centers.