G3100 / Gigabit: Download much slower than upload
jg94
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over wifi I get about 200 down and about 600 up even when right next to the router. Get good speeds over wired connection, and the speed test shows the speeds coming in fine from the network to the router. Don't think it's interference; I'm on the 5ghz network, device right on top of the router, and (I could be wrong about this, I don't know that much about this stuff) if there was lots of interference my upload speeds would be slowing down too. Please help

P.S. no it's not my device either I've tried so many different devices all the same thing

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 / Gigabit: Download much slower than upload
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Upon reflection, I point you to my thread

Title/Location: DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums -> Broadband and Networking -> Wireless Networking -> Wi-Fi down slower than wi-fii upload

Direct Link https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32819358-Wi-Fi-down-slower-than-wi-fii-upload

While I get that Wi-Fi speed is going to slower than wired speed, here is a weird one for you.

REF pointing to this thread at the Verizon Official Forums.

I found this info:

Wi-Fi = about 200 down and about 600 up

Wired = Got 850 down 775 up

User is on the G3100 and is using 5ghz network.

What would be up with that is causing this issue for the true OP in that thread?

Please and thank you

I got some replies back, including this one:

DSLR user HELLFIRE (# 1691829)

Over wifi I get about 200 down and about 600 up even when right next to the router....

I'll give the same advice I do for any similar post / situation on DSLR :

a) what are you trying to prove? The max speed your wifi can drive? The max speed of your pipe? Something else?

b) "don't think it's interference" -- go from "think" to "prove." Several wifi analysis programs have been mentioned and recommended on DSLR to empirically test this.

c) keep "the internet" enitrely out of the picture / variables by testing as follows, ie. either :

PC #1 --wired--> router/wifi --wireless--> PC #2 -OR-

PC #1 --wireless--> router/wifi --wireless--> PC #2

If it tests at or slower than the 200D/600U, the wifi is the limiting factor. If it tests faster than the 200D/600U, the limit is the internet pipe. Even shorter is "internet speedtest over wifi are made of SUCK!," bar none.

PS. For my two cents, I gave them this advise:

I prefer to phrase it "If you want speed / reliability, go wired. If you want convenience, go wireless." 🙂 Just sayin'

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe that the correct answer is, Why your Wi-Fi is slow

If that is not the correct answer, then How to verify your internet speed  is

OR it could even be both.

jg94
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not knowledgeable enough to rule out anything in the "Why your Wi-Fi is slow", but: first, much of it applies mostly to the 2.4ghz, and I'm on 5; and second, it's not that my Wi-Fi is "slow" but that my uploads (which I'm very happy with) are so much faster than my downloads, when it's often the other way around. Seems like anything slowing down my download speeds would also slow down my upload speeds (again, I might be wrong about that) unless there was some fixable problem.

As for the other, I've done everything that link has for me and more; run the diagnostic tool so many times, and where it connected me to an agent, I did, and he tried a bunch of things that he said would work but didn't (one of them slowed it down mightily; I had to go into the router settings and fix it myself). It is possible that it's just not an accurate result over Wi-Fi, as the link says it won't give an accurate, but the speed test (I've run probably 50 times now) gives consistent results, and once again would not explain the vast difference between the download and upload speeds.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to clear so that I and other helpers, are on the same page as you are:

Got from you

Wireless = about 200 down and about 600 up.

and wired =  ?? down and ?? up.

??

QQ While we get that wired more than likely would be faster than Wi-Fi, but does the same issue happen??

jg94
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, not the same issue with a wired connection. Got 850 down 775 up last wired test. 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jg94 wrote:

No, not the same issue with a wired connection. Got 850 down 775 up last wired test. 

Not solved yet, but at least we know now for sure it is a wireless issue.

My two cents.

#1 Use wired.

#2 Use wireless when and where you have to. For example for Smart Phone(s).

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Upon reflection, I point you to my thread

Title/Location: DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums -> Broadband and Networking -> Wireless Networking -> Wi-Fi down slower than wi-fii upload

Direct Link https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32819358-Wi-Fi-down-slower-than-wi-fii-upload

While I get that Wi-Fi speed is going to slower than wired speed, here is a weird one for you.

REF pointing to this thread at the Verizon Official Forums.

I found this info:

Wi-Fi = about 200 down and about 600 up

Wired = Got 850 down 775 up

User is on the G3100 and is using 5ghz network.

What would be up with that is causing this issue for the true OP in that thread?

Please and thank you

I got some replies back, including this one:

DSLR user HELLFIRE (# 1691829)

Over wifi I get about 200 down and about 600 up even when right next to the router....

I'll give the same advice I do for any similar post / situation on DSLR :

a) what are you trying to prove? The max speed your wifi can drive? The max speed of your pipe? Something else?

b) "don't think it's interference" -- go from "think" to "prove." Several wifi analysis programs have been mentioned and recommended on DSLR to empirically test this.

c) keep "the internet" enitrely out of the picture / variables by testing as follows, ie. either :

PC #1 --wired--> router/wifi --wireless--> PC #2 -OR-

PC #1 --wireless--> router/wifi --wireless--> PC #2

If it tests at or slower than the 200D/600U, the wifi is the limiting factor. If it tests faster than the 200D/600U, the limit is the internet pipe. Even shorter is "internet speedtest over wifi are made of SUCK!," bar none.

PS. For my two cents, I gave them this advise:

I prefer to phrase it "If you want speed / reliability, go wired. If you want convenience, go wireless." 🙂 Just sayin'

CaveatEmptor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have exactly the same issue. I replaced a functioning G1100 with a new G3100 in an attempt to get better range after reading posts that this had better coverage. Here's my issue:

5Ghz Wireless connection 6 feet away from the router is about 200MBPS while upload is 400MBPS odd. My old G1100 provides a 400 MBPS speed with the same laptop and distance from the router. Everything is the same including positioning. NOTE: This is the speed from the router to the laptop. Not the absolute FIOS internet speed. The Verizon speed test asks me to "check" my connection.

It's on a 5GHz channel that has no interference.

The range of my wireless is actually worse with this expensive new router which is supposed to have "tri-band 4x4 antennas" - whatever that is.

I've rebooted the router, made sure it's connected using 5GHz. It's on SON.

Is there something I can do with the router's antennas or positioning?

(I've read the hellfire post, and I can't make out what it's saying in terms of an actual fix. I am not mistaken in the issue.)

Why would a router that's thrice as expensive provide worse coverage! I know it has AX, and I know I can get another extender to get mesh, but I don't need that at this point.

0 Likes