Gigabit Fios Speed Help
kfp673
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello All,  

Had Fios Gigabit service installed 2 days ago.  I have been testing my speed with all types of connections, direct to Fios router, wifi, etc and the best ever has been 400mbps.  The Fios test of course says from routher to server is 900 but I dont see that on any devices.  I have a collection of computers (Mac & PC) all with gigabit capability.  When I run speed tests on 3rd party sites I am generally in the 250mb download and 350 upload.  Opposite of what I would prefer, but regardless I should be up in the 900 range for downloads.  What can I do to improve this?

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit Fios Speed Help
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try running wired as much as possible.  Many Wifi connections can't even come close to Gigabit speed. 

The fios test is real speed and if that is good, the problem may be the connection between the verizon network and the network where the site you are testing with.  Also some testing sites cannot yet handle gigabit testing.

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit Fios Speed Help
RMHSanMan

From what I understand Gigabit could only be archieved from verizon hooking up an ethernet cable from the ethernet port of the ONT to the Quantium router NOT using MOCA (media over coax), however it doesn't dishonorate the need for the coax being connected to the router as it is still needed for FIOS TV applications! If ethernet is ran to the router, confirm with verizon if the ethernet port has been activated on your ONT and also would you know if they (verizon) used cat 5e or 6? Although 5E would do good for gigabit speed but from what I've heard some changed over from the 5e to 6 for a better ethernet link between the ONT & router! I believe the other reply asked if you are connecting the device under speed test  to the router via ethernet or WiFi, Hopefully you are using the ethernet connection for the PC or MAC or mobile device! As for WiFi connections you should be and hope you're using the G1100 router instead of previous models being that it has faster wifi than the previous models as well it offers both 5g and 2.4 wifi frequency access! Also check your signal strenght on your devices as well, lower signal strenght would result in slower speeds in both wifi frequencies. Although 5G WiFi is faster than 2.4G... the 5G signal is weaker and dies at a shorter distance than the signal of 2.4G wifi frequencies.

0 Likes