Help with google router and point
jgfinnegan

I bought a google wifi router and point about a year ago.  I've had a lot of issues with wifi and wanted to get help on the setup.  I'm doing something wrong.  I have FIOS Internet ONLY and a G1100 router in the basement, connected via ethernet.  From this router I have 3 hard wired connections that go to 3 different rooms, 2 upstairs and 1 in the main floor living room.  The 3rd connection is an ethernet connection from the lan port on the FIOS router to the WAN port on the google router.  I have wifi disabled on the FIOS router.  Everything works fine for a while but eventually has an issue where I have to either reboot or reset factory settings.  Most solutions say to just replace the FIOS router with the google router, but due to the cabling of the hard wired ethernet connections I can't do that.  I've been told to try to put the FIOS router into bridge mode and I tried it but it ended up disabling my hard wired connections.  If I have wifi disabled on the FIOS router should this setup work, or do I need to set the FIOS router into bridge mode?  The dslreports link says in step 10:

10. Then I connected a patch cable from a LAN port on the Actiontec to a LAN port on the secondary router, and clicked Reboot Now.

But the connection should go from the LAN port into the WAN port on the google router, the 2nd router, correct?

Any info would be appreciated.  I'm tearing my hair out with all these wifi issues.

I would th

0 Likes
Re: Help with google router and point
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google router. Humm... What model number is that?

Typically, you only need a primary router. The second router should be "bridged" or truncate away its routing function that makes it a "router."

What I can tell is that you are encountering some sort of IP conflict. This may due to either you have not assigned Google router's LAN to a different subnet than G1100's LAN and/or have not disabled one of the router's DHCP server.

Does Google router have a LAN port? If so, you can bridge the Google router. No need to disable G1100's WiFi. I will provide more instructions once ascertained your model number.

jgfinnegan

Google - Nest Wifi AC2200 Mesh System Router and Point

In talking with google's support I brought up the fact that I think I needed to change the ip address of the google router, but the tech told me that is not the case.  There is a LAN port on the router.  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are bridging the Google router, you should change its LAN IP address. Otherwise, you can change your G1100's LAN IP address.

If you are double NATing, you should change either Google's or G1100's LAN to a different subnet. This setup is not recommended.

jgfinnegan

I found the settings in the app which shows that the IP address of the google nest router is 192.168.86.1

the dhcp pool addresses are from 192.168.86.20 - 192.168.86.250

So they aren't interfering.  Should I disable dhcp on the FIOS router?  Will that affect the ethernet connections that are hardwired to the router?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If there is no conflict, it should work. Can you describe your problem in more details?

jgfinnegan

The network is available and runs great for a while.  Then out of the blue I can't connect at all.  Sometimes it recovers and I'm able to connect again, other times I have to reset the nest google router.  Google has an app that you open to test the speed of the network.  Last test I did 303 download and 308 upload.  Then I try it again and it says can't connect, no internet.

I just tried setting the ip address of the google router to 192.168.1.2 and disabled dhcp.  So far things look ok, but I'll now more tomorrow.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Islanderman wrote:

The network is available and runs great for a while.  Then out of the blue I can't connect at all.

If there any error message when you "can't connect at all?"

If you cannot connect to the Internet, is your LAN still working fine?

Can you log into the Google router when you cannot connect to the Internet? Do you see any error messages there?