How do I extend an ethernet cable
Aronnnkay
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

I am using Verizon fios Internet now. (200/200) I'd like to move my router about 10 ft away. But the ethernet cable is too short. How do I extend the Verizon fios Ethernet cable? Is it possible to purchase and use an Ethernet cable other than a Verizon fios cable? If it is possible, what should I buy? How do I install it?

Please tell me the details. Thank you 🙂

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I extend an ethernet cable
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can purchase an Ethernet cable pretty much anywhere from Target to Lowes to Amazon.  Cat5E works up to 1Gps.  Cat6 will not make any difference in speed.  Only buy Cat6 if it doesn’t cost more than Cat5E.

Buy one that’s long enough, plug it in and go!

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can purchase an Ethernet cable pretty much anywhere from Target to Lowes to Amazon.  Cat5E works up to 1Gps.  Cat6 will not make any difference in speed.  Only buy Cat6 if it doesn’t cost more than Cat5E.

Buy one that’s long enough, plug it in and go!

Enjoy.

Aronnnkay
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm going to replace the cable. Does not matter on any kind of Cat6 cable? UTP, SSTP, SFTP, etc)

Thank you 🙂

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As stated, you only need Cat5E. Cat6 does not provide any technical benefit for speeds 1Gbps and below. Only buy it if it's the same price as Cat5E. Unshielded twisted pair is exactly what you want and is the most commonly available cable. This really isn't hard, search for "Ethernet cable" online or at your favorite store and buy one of the right length.

Enjoy.

Aronnnkay
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for helping me 🙂imageCat6I didn't know that Cat6 cable was installed my home already. Is the cable in the picture UTP? 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're really over thinking this.  Go to the store (online or physical) and buy an Ethernet cable of the right length.  It will work just fine.  They don't cost a lot (much less than $10 online for a 10 foot cable).