I lost my rj11 connection because tech repurposed cable in odd way, when switching ONT to ethernet..
NYC912

Had an old set up through coax, dropped TV and upgraded internet so, new ONT was needed and needed to be switched to ethernet. RJ45 wall plates had been installed already in home since it was built (with cat5e cables inside walls) one was converted over to RJ11 for phone line with first install 2013...

Tech was here and decided to use that wall plate with RJ11 and RJ45 jacks since it was closest to where I wanted router to be, but then had many issues trying to get it to work. Finally she ended up taking the cat5e that was used with RJ11 and repurposing that cat5e cable and splicing it to her own with RJ45 end needed for router (see picture) then leaving me with a coupler just dangling inside wall, completely disregarding the wall plate that was install...due to a "broken connector on it" (I later confirmed and this was the case, but she had tried so many times, she probably broke it in the first place) in any case, I figured I could just get a new wall plate and manage myself later, but still not sure why she spliced this cable like that. Do they not have their own connector and crimping tools? also even though I got rid of the phone line I was told that in NYC they are suppose to leave you a dial tone for emergencies, but she undid my RJ11 and never put it back, because she used that cable to make her frankenstein cable...

Any one know if the whole dial tone for emergencies thing is true...if so, any way I can repurpose the other cat5e cable in the wall to the rj11 wall plate connector (wish i had taken a pic before she took it apart)...

I'm glad she did the upgrade and got it to work also glad they waved the "upgrade fee", but man, this is really low standards for such a major telecom company...little disappointing... Any who, any ideas about getting my dial tone back are appreciated. Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I lost my rj11 connection because tech repurposed cable in odd way, when switching ONT to ethern
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NYC912 wrote:

this is just one of the few articles out there .

That article is from 2009.  Very, very out of date.

The OP does not have dial tone, as the OP does not subscribe to phone service.  It's that simple.

View solution in original post

Re: I lost my rj11 connection because tech repurposed cable in odd way, when switching ONT to ethern
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone line on the  ONT only works if you subscribe to phone service.  If you don't subscribe, it does not provide dial-tone for emergencies.  It simply doesn't work.

If you're an internet only customer, the problem here is your install is a bit messy.  Easy to fix with a few dollars in parts from your favorite home center or online shopping site.

If you do subscribe to phone service, and it wasn't connected, you should contact Verizon to get that fixed.

NYC912

I did cancel the my TV and Phone, however I've been told and read than in New York and "some states do require local carriers to maintain a "soft" or "warm" dial tone, which allows you to call 911 on a line that has been disconnected or is otherwise inactive." This is a bit of an old report, so not sure if the new FCC (not very pro-consumer) has changed this, but again this might be up to the state law not FCC. 

I was hoping to just test the line out myself just to check, but I need to repurpose cable back to RJ11 to do so...I suppose I should call them too, they don't always seem to know the correct info (in my experience) but I'll give it a shot. 

I'm also not sure if it's even worth it, as I expect during a power outage if the ONT goes out, so will that phone line, right? Either way I've read it's best to call 911 from land lines if possible as it is a little quicker to get through (might make a difference in a true emergency) but I'll have to see if that's even a possibility for me. Thanks 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've never heard of dial tone just for 911 in all my years working with telephone systems.  If you don't subscribe to phone, you don't get dial tone.  It's that simple.

There is an RJ11 jack on the ONT.  You can plug a phone into and test yourself, but I guarantee you there is no dial tone if you're not paying for it.

NYC912
0 Likes
charlyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

First VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) is not a land line.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NYC912 wrote:

this is just one of the few articles out there .

That article is from 2009.  Very, very out of date.

The OP does not have dial tone, as the OP does not subscribe to phone service.  It's that simple.