I'm only getting 300-400mbps up and down even when hardwired to ONT or gateway
ipcmlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kind of a bummer.

sometimes it even goes down to 200++ on the ONT to my hardwired laptop.

do I just call up Verizon or do something?

according to speedtest at Verizon I'm getting 900++ up and down to the router. That is not correct at all.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I'm only getting 300-400mbps up and down even when hardwired to ONT or gateway
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have another thread where you posted the same issue.

I will post the same response so others can see it:

When you test speed, Verizon will onyl recognize tests to speedtest.verizon.net.
That verifies your connection to the Verizon network.
Which is all they will guarantee.

Depending on your computer, some have reported that driver updates can help speed.

Given that your rotuer shows correct speed, if your PC does not to above site, then your PC might have an issue.

No ISP will guarantee performance to any given site. Some might be faster or slower at times.

It can depend on connectivity from ISP to other networks.

These can get overloaded at times and make take some time for ISPs to upgrade.

View solution in original post

Re: I'm only getting 300-400mbps up and down even when hardwired to ONT or gateway
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are you trying to download? 

Often times the issue (especially with the gigabit plan) is that the server hosting the content is simply underpowered. Verizon can only gaurantee bandwidth to their network (If your seeing 900 up/down on the Verizon speedtest, there isn't too much Verizon can do, as the issue is outside the Verizon network). 

Have you tried alternative download mirrors / servers for whatever it is your trying to download? 

joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

verizon is upselling/upmarketing 150m people to 1g - if they have the capacity.

so you have to look at 1g as "well at least i stil have the 150m i was paying for".

it's a scam to appear like they can compete with Altice and keep coax low end.

current pon's only have 2g:1g capacity, so once your gpon is congested, you have

to wait for the co to upgrade to gpon2 so that same pon gets 10g-40g capacity.

in addition older last mile pon may not have enough dark fibers in the ground

to expend their capacity for everyone to get 1g now that fios is more popular.

much should happen during 2018 as IPTV and g2100 ont/routers get rolled out,

so anyone getting 1g now should just consider themselves "early adopters" and

take comfort in the fact that at least it's not any more expensive than 150g was.

try to revel in the single digit fiber latency, not morn the lack of advertised speed.

ipcmlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for making me feel bad joe-nyc.

Just curious why Verizon speed test to router says 900/900 up and down but when I connect laptop to ont and do speedtest on Xfinity, Verizon to device, speed test.net it is obviously 1/3-1/4th slower than 900++. It's obviously not the laptop and cable as I did 650mbps transfers at work.... Will just call I guess. Its getting slower as the days went by, it started off 400/500 now it sometimes goes to 200/300.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have another thread where you posted the same issue.

I will post the same response so others can see it:

When you test speed, Verizon will onyl recognize tests to speedtest.verizon.net.
That verifies your connection to the Verizon network.
Which is all they will guarantee.

Depending on your computer, some have reported that driver updates can help speed.

Given that your rotuer shows correct speed, if your PC does not to above site, then your PC might have an issue.

No ISP will guarantee performance to any given site. Some might be faster or slower at times.

It can depend on connectivity from ISP to other networks.

These can get overloaded at times and make take some time for ISPs to upgrade.