Improving Wi-Fi signal - multi-story
drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the length. I have gigabit service and currently, the standard Gateway router and a network extender (Actiontec - MOCA) in the basement. I am hoping for better coverage but my house is not set up with ethernet ports. However, I am considering at least one on each floor installed soon. 

I have read about APs but quite frankly, I don't fully understand the whole set up and I am trying to avoid paying for things I don't need. I do know how to set up a new router I buy to the Gateway directly by ethernet cable but nothing past that (if I even need something past that).  I also am not quite sure which equipement to buy but I know I would like to ditch the Fios network extender if I can get better performance out of something else. I have been looking at the Nighthawk routers (though, not sure which I need exactly) and the Google Mesh network (x3) but I am still at a loss.

Assuming that I wanted to set something up prior to any ethernet port installation, the Gateway is on the main floor connected by ethernet to the ONT, coverage on the top floor is okay and the basement is a dead zone without the Fios provided network extender. What is the best course of action if I am prepared to spend up to $4-500 to fix this? (lower is always better).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Improving Wi-Fi signal - multi-story
drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I solved this on my own, with dsl reports help. I figured I would add the update here for those interested.

Currently, the set up is ONT> WAN Google WiFi > GW Lan to Gateway Lan (as a mocabridge)......... until I get Cat6 dropped in my basement, I also have the extender with WiFi radio off feeding a gigabit switch. I also bought the 2 extra pucks and use them for WiFi signal on basement level and top floor with as many devices plugged in to LAN ports as possible. 

As a novice, it was actually pretty easy to do the step by step instructions and oddly, everything worked after the first try. It actually took me longer to find VZs DNS server address than the rest of the set up. I am testing about 200-250mbps to devices but more importantly, it's a stable connection to everything. I also didn't lose any DVR or OnDemand. The Google WiFi appears to be really good so far.

If I had any gripes, it would be A. Google WiFi could use some more access to the router. It's easy to set up but the control is a little lacking. B. I have gigabit service but I haven't seen those speeds (hardwired) since I hooked up the GW as the primary. The problem with this gripe is that the only place I have seen those speeds was at Verizon's own speed test, which I am not sure I believe completely. 

Either way, if you are a novice and you hate the signal from the Gateway, it was not hard to change. Maybe you don't choose GW but if you have accessed any router, I assume the set up would be just as easy with other brand routers. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Try this link first. Loads of information 

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Under section 3.1 is what you need.

drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

As an update, I believe I messed up and bought Google WiFi (x3) based on the recommendation of an IT friend.............

I have read over the DSL Reports information but I don't know if anyone has checked their router lately. The view changed and some of the functionality I saw before, I cannot see now (after the firmware update). The steps require that I, turn off the WIFI (which I can do), disable DCHP which I found, set a static IP which I didn't see an option for and under network, where the bridge table used to be is a list of connected devices with links/features I can no longer change. 

I have read some people say that they set up the Google WIFI behind the Gateway router and it worked, except the Fios Mobile app (which i don't care about) and some GW features won't work. Others who said that the Google Wifi Mesh doesn't work behind the Gateway and has to be bridged but I cannot find all of the settings. 

I had also planned to clone my old network with Google Wifi so I don't have to change every device in the house..............

Does someone have a clear answer on whether the mesh network will work, whether it is behind or in front of the Gateway and if they see the same missing ability to make changes in the Gateway router settings? 

0 Likes
drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

disregard, I found the settings I was looking for; they are just hidden in the advanced tab. 

I am looking at the Lan to Lan connection #7 right now. Fingers crossed. 

Question though (if using this setting)......if the Gateway is feeding the extender and the extender is connected by coax, can I use that as a temporary switch until I get the ethernet dropped down there?

0 Likes
drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I solved this on my own, with dsl reports help. I figured I would add the update here for those interested.

Currently, the set up is ONT> WAN Google WiFi > GW Lan to Gateway Lan (as a mocabridge)......... until I get Cat6 dropped in my basement, I also have the extender with WiFi radio off feeding a gigabit switch. I also bought the 2 extra pucks and use them for WiFi signal on basement level and top floor with as many devices plugged in to LAN ports as possible. 

As a novice, it was actually pretty easy to do the step by step instructions and oddly, everything worked after the first try. It actually took me longer to find VZs DNS server address than the rest of the set up. I am testing about 200-250mbps to devices but more importantly, it's a stable connection to everything. I also didn't lose any DVR or OnDemand. The Google WiFi appears to be really good so far.

If I had any gripes, it would be A. Google WiFi could use some more access to the router. It's easy to set up but the control is a little lacking. B. I have gigabit service but I haven't seen those speeds (hardwired) since I hooked up the GW as the primary. The problem with this gripe is that the only place I have seen those speeds was at Verizon's own speed test, which I am not sure I believe completely. 

Either way, if you are a novice and you hate the signal from the Gateway, it was not hard to change. Maybe you don't choose GW but if you have accessed any router, I assume the set up would be just as easy with other brand routers. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Yes you solved it yourself because I gave you the link and information.

but it works now and that’s all that matters.

0 Likes