Information about My Internet is inaccurate
johnsoned
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just went online to sign into my verizon account. While I was there I signed up for the rewards program and I also decided to look at the information listed under "My Internet". When I clicked on the "Manage" button in "My Internet" what I found was a bit astounding, none of the information there was in the least bit accurate, including my SSID, my WiFi Pswd /Key or my Encryption Type and clicking on "Refresh" didn't change anything. Can anyone tell me what this means or possibly what I am doing wrong? 

0 Likes
Re: Information about My Internet is inaccurate
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It's hard to picture what could be causing what you described.

What model router do you have? 

When you say you went online, did you logon to the router using IP address 192.168.1.1 ?

Do you have any other router, wireless access point, or wireless extender in service on your LAN?

0 Likes
johnsoned
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's hard to picture what could be causing what you described. My feelings exactly

What model router do you have? MI424WR

When you say you went online, did you logon to the router using IP address 192.168.1.1 ? Yes I used the url http://192.168.1.1

Do you have any other router, wireless access point, or wireless extender in service on your LAN? I do not

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The IP you aare using is for your router directly.

Doesn't make sense that you see one configuration in your router and say you are using another.

If you power the router off, can you still access this ip?

And what about the Internet?

After you power the router back on, are configs still wrong?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

The IP you aare using is for your router directly.

Doesn't make sense that you see one configuration in your router and say you are using another.

If you power the router off, can you still access this ip?

And what about the Internet?

After you power the router back on, are configs still wrong?

OP said nothing at all about using another router.

What he said was that he logged on the main verizon site and accessed MyVerizon where there is an item that shows your router settings.

He then states that the values in MY Verizon are nothing like the values that he sees when he logs on to his router at 192.168.1.1

At least that is my reading of what he says.  It kind of points to his Verizon account as being in error and that it is pointing to a different router to the one that is on his premises.

I would suggest talking to Verizon tech support or acustomer service and seeing whether they have the your account linked the router serial number or mac address that is recorded on the op local router.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Re-reading the OPs posts again it sounds like that's what he means....the info shown via his account online doesn't agree with that shown on his actual router, but that's not what he said.  At least not the way I understood it.

In reply to my query the OP said yes, he went online using 192.168.1.1.  It's not clear that when connecting to his router directly the info shown is correct.

Having said that, if indeed the SSID, etc., on the router doesn't concur with the info shown on his account on the Verizon website, then I agree a call to Verizon support is in order to have them look at the router they are showing for his account.

0 Likes
johnsoned
Enthusiast - Level 3

It appears, based on the replies on this post, that I have not been very clear on what my problem actually is. Let me try to clear that up.

First: I am not having any problems connecting any of my devices to my router whether it is by ethernet cable or Wi-Fi. the signal is strong and in most cases, is as fast as I would expect it to be.

Second: I apologize for this but when I answered the question about the model no. of my router I assumed that the information provided by Verizon was correct and used the model no. listed on the website. Since then I have pulled down my router from where it is mounted and copied all the information that is on the foil label for my router. The model no. is MI424-WR Rev.E

Third: The other information I copied from that label was the ESSID. This is the number that the Verizon website shows as my SSID or ESSID, this is not my SSID which, of course, is my own creation and what I expected to see when I clicked on "Manage" (My Internet). Another piece of information I copied from my router label was the WEP Key which exactly matches the number listed on the website as WiFi Pswd /Key. Again, what I expected to see was my own WPA2 password.

Fourth: My new question is: What should I see when I click on "Manage" (My Internet). My actual SSID and password or the numbers listed on my router label? 

I apologize for any confusion i may have caused, I truly respect those of you who take the time to reply to posts on this forum and I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Ed J.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Here are the steps I take to get to my router's info on the Verizon website, which agrees with the info I see at the router's setup page (192.168.1.1):

At https://www.verizon.com/home/myverizon/  under "Where to?" select "My Services and signin to your account.

Then click on:

Under "My Services"  Internet

My Internet > Manage

Under "WiFi Settings > Get Wi-Fi Details

Next

That should take you to a page with "Your Home Wi-Fi Network Settings," and they should agree with what you see at 192.168.1.1.  At least that's how it works here.

Good luck.

0 Likes
johnsoned
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried that, but I'm still getting the same answers. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and call tech support. I'm not real thrilled with that option but, as they say, any port in a storm. Is it possible that the reason this is happening is that I always opt out of registering my computers?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

"Is it possible that the reason this is happening is that I always opt out of registering my computers?"

You've got me.  I'm as paranoid as the next guy when it comes to giving out as little information as possible but your problem is a puzzle. 

I hope tech support will be able to help you.  If so, please post back here and let the rest of us users know what the answer was.

Good luck.

0 Likes