Internet access coming and going
tarheelfan4ever

For about 5 days now the Internet has been randomly going down and up.  It comes back up on its own sometimes and other times we disconnect and reconnect the power and line.  When I called tech support there was a message regarding a general problem with service but I couldn't understand it.  After entering a repair request (we had a problem with a shorted line late last year) I am unable to get back to that message.  Can anyone advise what it was?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Internet access coming and going
ThomTel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had exactly the same problem here. Unfortunately it is impossible to reach anyone from Verizon anymore unless they're in India...and they're not equipped to deal with many American problems. (Verizon has done a great job hiding themselves).

I think it sinful to make a very old, sick lady with a bad heart, struggle to tears and desperation to try to understand what's being said... and worse ...to spend an entire day at it and accomplish NOTHING! I break out in a sweat at the thought of calling Verizon, and that's probably exactly what they want.

The utter frustration of attempting to deal with Verizon has landed me in the hospital before. I'm not about to try that again...so, if you find a solution, would you be kind enough to let me know?

The best I could figure out (after HOURS of searching) is that they have different modems for different systems. According to Verizon... see below:

VersaLink 7500 Gateway
Actiontec GT704WGB gateway

VersaLink 7500 Gateway

WIndows XP

Windows 7

Actiontec GT704WGB

Windows Vista

I use Windows 7 and Verizon sent me the Actiontec!?!? I am unable to reach anyone who even knows what I'm talking about...

Please contact me ( {edited for privacy} ) if you have been able to reach anyone regarding your problem...Thank you!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all who replied to this thread.

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) will contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from you modem?

If you don't know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to your modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

--

To only ThomTel

@ThomTel wrote:

I have had exactly the same problem here. Unfortunately it is impossible to reach anyone from Verizon anymore unless they're in India...and they're not equipped to deal with many American problems. (Verizon has done a great job hiding themselves).

I think it sinful to make a very old, sick lady with a bad heart, struggle to tears and desperation to try to understand what's being said... and worse ...to spend an entire day at it and accomplish NOTHING! I break out in a sweat at the thought of calling Verizon, and that's probably exactly what they want.

The utter frustration of attempting to deal with Verizon has landed me in the hospital before. I'm not about to try that again...so, if you find a solution, would you be kind enough to let me know?

The best I could figure out (after HOURS of searching) is that they have different modems for different systems. According to Verizon... see below:

VersaLink 7500 Gateway

VersaLink 7500 Gateway

WIndows XP

Windows 7

Actiontec GT704WGB

Windows Vista

I use Windows 7 and Verizon sent me the Actiontec!?!? I am unable to reach anyone who even knows what I'm talking about...

I don't know if you have that Actiontec GT704WGB or not.

If you do have the Actiontec GT704WGB, to get the Transceiver Statistics (provided that you don't have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it and you did not change the LAN IP of it), this is what you need to do..

#1 Go to 192.168.1.1

#2 Then go to Status

#3 Type in the current user name and password of the router. If you did change them: The default user name is admin and the default password is password.

#4 In Status, go to DSL Status.

#5 Post that info that you get from there.

--

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.actiontec.com/support/doc_files/GT704-WG-B_Vz_User_Man...

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ThomTel wrote:

VersaLink 7500 Gateway

VersaLink 7500 Gateway

WIndows XP

Windows 7

Actiontec GT704WGB

Windows Vista

The modem issued is random and based on region, not based on what Operating System you run. The ActionTec and Westell modems are self contained so as long as you have something that supports the TCP/IP standards, the modem is compatible, so to speak. What may be an issue with the OS support would be with USB drivers for the modems, but, who these days needs to use USB when Ethernet is faster and card come included with everything (or can be bought for dirt cheap) ? Also, What's compatible with Vista is compatible with 7. If you were daring, like I am, you can load Vista and WinXP drivers into 7 and I can guarantee you it will work most of the time. Of course, you're also putting stability at risk.

We'll want to troubleshoot this by getting the modem statistics, as dslr outlined above. Just visit http://192.168.1.1/ in your web browser and follow the instructions he gives in getting your statistics.

0 Likes