Internet connection drops several times a day
wacjr791
Enthusiast - Level 1

For about the past year, I will randomly lose internet connection. At first, it was only a couple times a week. Now it is several times a day. During this time, the internet light on the gateway is off, while the power and DSL light stay on, like they always are. I got a new gateway a couple months back. Both the old and new are the Actiontec GT784WNV. When it goes off, it will automatically turn back on after several minutes. I don't think the problem is the gateway since I got a new one and it is not my devices since my computer, which is wirelessly connected, and my XBox, which is wired, will lose connection at the same time. This is very frusterating since Verizon just raised the price by $7.00, saying this is for better service. I wouldn't mind paying this extra amount if I had reliable service. 

I have enhanced high speed internet and here are the rates:

Downstream Rate: 7840Kbps

Upstream Rate: 863Kbps

Re: Internet connection drops several times a day
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, Fios TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any issues where your service slows down at night, or during the period of time where the Internet light goes off?

0 Likes
wacjr791
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know. I usually am off of the internet by 5 or 6 each night. I only notice it during the day.

0 Likes
Stephanie1191

This is happening to us too now!!!! We have had verizon for three years and the last year i have been on the phone no less than two dozen times trying to figure out what the deal is. We replaced the modem and router.  Service used to be so great and now we can't even LOAD A WEBPAGE !!! It is SO upsetting, we are going to cancel!!! I already have prices lined up from Hughes Net.  I know Verizon is screwing us - I know they have slowed our DSL down. I did the speed test on their website and our download rate is 1.11 MBPS (if the test even loads!!!!) and we are paying for the "highest available enhanced" which would be 7 - 15 MBPS !! My email doesn't even load and this is now effecting my work life because I can't load emails and schedule my next day, and can't work from home! I am cancelling TODAY !!

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stephanie1191,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
jarrow

This may or may not apply. When you are at the end of the line from the nearest local hub, you may not be able to get the 7Mbps speed the sales folks sold you. Your home may simply be too far away . The result is the modem is calling for a higher range of service that your home can get and it causes drops in bandwidth. Call customer support and ask two things.   1) Can you check for intermittent route problems and refresh my line to see if he higher 7Mbps service is restored. or 2) If that does not work, can you drop my service down to the 3 or 3.3 Mbps service and refresh my line to see if that level of service is more consistent.  If # 2 works, you should ask for a refund on the higher bandwidth service. I had to drop my service down to the 3 Mbps range and the dropouts stopped. Verizon lowered my monthly charge and gave me a refund. Some time the sales people are overly optimistic about the level of bandwidth your home can realistically get depending on how far down the line from the hub you are. The 3 Mbps range allows us to stream Netflix and Amazon.

0 Likes