Internet issue: Paying for 35/35 ... getting 40/1. Possible Duplux Switch Issue
AsusMiller
Enthusiast - Level 2

Goodmorning everyone.

I have an issue with my upload speed being extremely slow.  I run the speed test, and my download speeds are consistently 42 Mbps, but my uploads are 1.5 Mbps.  I had a similar issue a few months ago, but where my download speeds were awful as well.

After some basic research, I found that my SendBuffferSize number is extremely low, at 8192.  The other issue I see with the speed test results are with the Duplex switch?  I am at work at the moment and I can't remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of my network card is at full duplex, and the switch (I'm assuming this is the router?) is at half duplex.

When I run the Verizon optimization tool, and immediately run the speed test again, the SendBufferSize number is much larger, 261360, and the Duplex message states everything is normal, and my upload speed is back up to 30 Mbps.  But, after two minutes or so, the upload speed goes back to 1 Mbps, and the SendBufferSize is back to 8192, and the Duplex alarm message is back as well.  Someone please shed some light on this for me?  This is above my experience, and the three Verizon tech couldn't tell me anything about it either.

0 Likes
Re: Internet issue: Paying for 35/35 ... getting 40/1. Possible Duplux Switch Issue
AsusMiller
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to mention, I have a Gen 3 Actiontec MI424WR.  I tried calling Actiontec, assuming the problem lies with the router, and hoping they'd be able to shed some light on the subject, but was immediately shunned and referred back to Verizon tech support once they found out I was a customer.

0 Likes
Re: Internet issue: Paying for 35/35 ... getting 40/1. Possible Duplux Switch Issue
tns
Master - Level 2

You could try playing with the various settings.  One source is

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you are reasonably good with the PC then you can go into the registry, always follow the advice to back up your registry before you begin.  

In your case the send buffer size is indeed the culprit. 

I wonder what OS you are using.  Windows 7 requires that you run it as administrator.  Are you doing that?  If you are not then that is the reason why the setting is not sticking. 

If you are doing that and it's still not working, then download the speed optimizer from the previously linked wwww.speedguide.net 

• Save it to your desktop 
  • Right Click
  • Run as administrator 

and then use that app to adjust your options.

I recommend

• sliding the bar all the way to the right
  • Put a checkmark where it says modify all adapters
  • Select the radial button that says optimal settings and then hit apply 

SG TCP Optimizer

AsusMiller
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hubrisnxs:

Thank you for your reply.  Do you know if the SendBufferSize is directly correlated with this Duplex thing?  It seems as though it is, although I am not savvy enough to know why.

I THINK I ran it as administrator, but I will certainly try it again this afternoon and get back to you.  I appreciate you laying out the instructions so clearly for me.

You are correct in assuming I am running Windows 7.  64 bit Ultimate

0 Likes
AsusMiller
Enthusiast - Level 2

After doing these things, this is what I'm still getting:

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.87Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.94Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_09

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 428288 bytes.
10 Mbps Ethernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition found: Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplexD

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 56.01 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.01% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 25.97% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 71.8% of the time.
This connection is network limited 2.22% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [] but Client says [192.168.1.2]

0 Likes
AsusMiller
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

Today, Verizon Tech came out and replaced the coaxial cable from the ONT to the router with an Ethernet cable.  He also replaced the ONT unit itself.  I still have a coaxial cable going to the router, and another going to the DVR.  My issue still exists, about 40Mbps download, 1 to 2 Mbps upload.

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.70Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.22Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_09

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 66792 bytes.
10 Mbps Ethernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 11.1 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.01% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 7.01% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 90.52% of the time.
This connection is network limited 2.46% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [{Edited for privacy}] but Client says [192.168.1.2]

0 Likes
Topdog123

I have the same exact problem

I called 50 times and finally Verizon changed the Pon card at the central station...and now I'm getting 75/ 35 exactly what I pay for ..

HOWEVER its not consistent ...

0 Likes
superjman
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having a similar issue.  I just upgraded to FIOS quantum 50/25 and I'm getting over 50 mbps down on the verizon speedtest but i'm barely getting over 1 mbps upload speed.  That's ridiculous!  Anyone have any ideas on what I could test to ensure it's not on my end?  It doesn't seem to be, as the download speed is great, and I know I've had better upload speeds than that in the past with the same rig.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Very good chance the problem is between the ONT up to and including the CO at this point. Find out if any of your neighbors with FiOS are having the same issues. If they are, have them call in as well. It could be a failing piece of equipment back at the CO or fiber that needs repairing.

0 Likes