Internet only setup
ronnieM2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am looking to get rid of FIOS Tv service and just keep the internet connection. I also want to return the Verizon router, and use my own. I don't want to keep paying rent on something every month.

As i see it my problem is the current setup. i have 3 pieces of equipment now, the router, the cable box and what looks like a modem. I know FIOS does not use modems so i am not sure what that piece actually is.

I do not have coax or ethernet coming into my apartment. I have this very thin cable coming in and connects to the modem or whatever and from there coax goes to router then cable box. I guess i am asking does anyone know if Verizon could replace that thin cable coming in with an ethernet cable and then j connect to my router, which has no coax connection.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet only setup
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The box with 11 LED indicator lights is the ONT. You can't get rid of that. It remains the property of Verizon and you are not charged for having it. When you move, the ONT needs to stay in the house. The ONT is considered a part of the Verizon network and is an on-premise equipment in your house.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Verizon uses ONT (Optical Network Terminals) which then connects to your Verizon or customer owned router. From there the coaxial (MOCA) connects to your tv (Set top Box) I am wondering if that thin line is a telephone line? If not then it more than likely is a ethernet cable. If so you need to call 1-800-VERIZON and possibly wait awhile to speak to someone but you can cancel tv there and ask them where to send the boxes back and where to bring it if you have a Verizon corporate store available.

make sure you get a receipt with your name address and account number also the equipment serial numbers of the returned equipment.

now if you have Verizon DSL service you would need to see if regular Fios is available in your location. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The thin line is fiber.  It goes to the ONT, which is your connection point to FiOS.

ONT's can provide WAN internet to the router over coax or Ethernet.  It is provisioned by Verizon for one or the other.  Since you've reported you only have coax between the ONT and router, we know your ONT is provisioned for coax WAN.  Verizon can switch it to Ethernet WAN, all you have to do is ask.  Contact support and they will take care of it for you in a few minutes without charge.  Chat support is a good way to get this done; phone support will take far too long and my not understand the request.

Before you contact them, run an Ethernet cable between the ONT and Verizon router's WAN Ethernet port.  Then, when they make the switch, you'll only have a brief outage while the router adjusts.  You may need to power-cycle it.  Once you see it working, you can remove the coax and swap out the Verizon router for a device of your choice.

ronnieM2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I want to be able to get rid of all of the verizon equipment. If ii read your response correctly you say the box inside is also an ONT. What i would really like to do is run cat8 from the ONT outside directly inside to my router. I just don't want to make an appointment only to have them come out and say i can't do that.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is only one ONT in each home.  If you have an ONT outside, you don't have one inside.  If you can post pictures and/or the model number of the boxes, we can figure out what they are.

Regardless of where your ONT is, it can be provisioned for Ethernet WAN.  Then, you can use whatever router you like.  You just have to run an Ethernet cable and contact Verizon to re-provision the WAN connection to Ethernet.

On a different topic, I suggest you don't bother with CAT8, it's a lot more money and is very difficult to work with.  CAT5e is fine for gigabit.  It will be many, many years before you'll have anything faster than gigabit to worry about.  You could use CAT6 if you want future-proofing, but CAT8 is complete overkill for residential.

ronnieM2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks I will get some pictures and post. the Cat8 I have now seems to have made a difference when backing up to my NAS.

0 Likes
ronnieM2
Enthusiast - Level 1

 This is what i have

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The box with 11 LED indicator lights is the ONT. You can't get rid of that. It remains the property of Verizon and you are not charged for having it. When you move, the ONT needs to stay in the house. The ONT is considered a part of the Verizon network and is an on-premise equipment in your house.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The box on top is the ONT.  It is Verizon property and is a key part of the FiOS system.  It is the boundary between light on the fiber and wired interfaces to your devices.  It has Ethernet, coax and phone connections for the various services.

The box on the bottom is a set-top-box.  Return it to Verizon when you cancel TV service.

The box on the left is a Verizon branded router.  If you don't want to keep using it, you can use any router you want.  There is an Ethernet jack on the ONT that the router plugs into.  If it's not currently in use, you'll have to ask Verizon to provision the ONT for Ethernet WAN.  For best results, ask via chat.

Note you can do all of this over the web or via chat; there is no need for a technician to visit your home and charge you a fee.  Verizon will give you instructions on how to return the router and set-top-box; be sure to follow them and get appropriate receipts.

Unless your network devices and NAS have 10Gb ports, CAT8 doesn't make a difference.  CAT5E works great at gigabit speed; I've got tons of it in my home and move data at gigabit all the time.  Either your pre-CAT8 network was damaged or your observations are due to the placebo effect.  But hey, if you want to spend more money on something you won't benefit from, that's your choice.