Internet only works with Verizon supplied ethernet cable from ONT to Router
sneezey1

Hello, 

I am trying to relocate my router, necessitating a longer ethernet cable than originally installed by Verizon. I purchased the same Cat5E  568b cable for the new line. When I connect the new ethernet cable from the ONT to my router WAN (both with the Verizon supplied and another router) I cannot get a data connection.

The issue appears to be the ethernet cable between my ONT and the router.

I cannot get a connection to the internet using any cable (tried about 5 of varying lengths at this point) other than the Verizon supplied cable. When I attach a new ethernet cable to the ONT and to the WAN slot on my router, the "DATA" light on my ONT will not illuminate, and there is no internet. When I swap back to the old cable, all issues disappear and everything works fine. The ethernet cable seems like the only variable.

I've compared the wiring between the new and old cables and both appear to be the same on all ends (OW / O / GW / B / BW / G/ BrW / Br) and the same AWG24. 

I am not a networking expert, but I am totally at a loss as to what the issue could be and I've not been able to locate any similar issues online or here. Any help/ideas would really be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Internet only works with Verizon supplied ethernet cable from ONT to Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you verified both ends of the cable to ensure that each end is wired as a straight through?

Can you test the cables you bought to go from rotuer to a PC to see if they work that way?

0 Likes
sneezey1

Thank you for the reply. 

I believe all cables are configured the same:imagemy cablesimageverizonimageverizon

To answer your second question:

I can connect using the new ethernet cable if it is run from the router. So config would be ONT > Verizon's cable > my router (Netgear Nighthawk, but same issue with Verizon's router) > new cable > PC. That works fine. 

But ONT > my cable > router results in no "DATA" and I also note that no lights on the ethernet connector on the ONT illuminate when using my cable, whereas they do when using the Verizon cable. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One last thing.

If you connect Verizon cable from router to PC, do link lights come up?

0 Likes