Internet speed
FLICK11
i pay extra for 50 mps. My speed test app shows i am only getting 28 mps. How do i get my money back?
0 Likes
Re: Internet speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Downgrade your package to the 25Mbps/25Mbps package.

Before asking for money back, please make sure you're testing from a WIred connection only, and there isn't any possibility that Wireless could be slowing you down. Wireless is often the weak end of the stick when FiOS connections, and often leads to the misbelief that Verizon is not delivering the paid-for service. 99% of cases it's a Wireless problem.

If Wired gives poor performance and you've confirmed Wi-Fi has nothing to do with the problem, then you can call in a repair and request service credits. Verizon will be willing to give you at least something if you ask, when reporting troubles.

0 Likes
FLICK11
Wrong! wrong! wrong! I was told that I would get 50mps wi-fi with an 800' range. Are you telling me that i was lied to as part of some scam. Who are you? Do you work for verizon?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm a Verizon customer who regularly assists with home networks in person when I'm not at work dealing with enterprise networking needs. I don't work for Verizon.

I wouldn't say any of this is a scam - it just has to do with a lack of education on how Wireless works or overly high expectations of what the technology can do. Some people pitching sales, I know will mix up the theoretical limit with the actual limits of Wireless. Or, perhaps it was just a hindsight. There's that, on top of the mess known as 802.11n. Just like LTE being a magical thing that can handle 1,000 phones all streaming NHL games at once (it can't). 

What router were you given by Verizon? If it's the ActionTec MI424WR Rev. I, the Wireless often caps at 30Mbps throughput on devices like phones and tablets which have 1x1 radios (though newer devices come with better antenna designs). The router maxes at 130Mbps (about half of that in realistic cases) if a client supports 2x2 Wireless N. Any ActionTec older will max at 30Mbps or less.

Also I need to ask, what device are you testing with?

0 Likes