Is it true that Verizon stopped deploying FIOS?
Ant
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you in advance. 😞

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is it true that Verizon stopped deploying FIOS?
Ant
Contributor - Level 2

@tns wrote:

Only partially true.  They will deploy it of course in areas where it already is deployed.  And they have several areas, examples in NYC and New Jersey, where they have agreements they are continuing to expand into new areas. In some of those cases the agreements require them to complete adding service.   But in general if they don't currently have an agreement with the local authorities they are not currently trying to expand.

Interesting. When you say local authorities, do you mean the city or the area in the city? Is there a way for the public to check for this?

View solution in original post

tns
Master - Level 2

Only partially true.  They will deploy it of course in areas where it already is deployed.  And they have several areas, examples in NYC and New Jersey, where they have agreements they are continuing to expand into new areas. In some of those cases the agreements require them to complete adding service.   But in general if they don't currently have an agreement with the local authorities they are not currently trying to expand.

Ant
Contributor - Level 2

@tns wrote:

Interesting. When you say local authorities, do you mean the city or the area in the city? Is there a way for the public to check for this?

tns
Master - Level 2

Probably varies a lot.  For NYC it was for the whole city, but various buildings must agree as well.  For NJ I think they had a statewide agreement to cover a certain percentage of the state including the various county seats.

0 Likes
Ant
Contributor - Level 2

@tns wrote:

Probably varies a lot.  For NYC it was for the whole city, but various buildings must agree as well.  For NJ I think they had a statewide agreement to cover a certain percentage of the state including the various county seats.

Ah. I wonder if there is a way to check/determine this for my area. I know my city has FIOS, but not in my area. Hmm!

0 Likes
pa28pilot
Enthusiast - Level 3

The department of your local government that's responsible for this may vary, but look up things like "cable franchise licenses" and you might be able to find the details. In general, localities award a license to carriers within their jurisdiction. By law, those agreements have to be posted. You might also find them on VZ's public documents pages where the telephone tariffs are published as well. 

0 Likes