Is this my ONT?
shobuddy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have FIOS internet only and therefore don't use any FIOS equipment.  My internet runs on an off the shelf router with an ethernet WAN fios line

There is no coax involved.  I've been having some technical issues lately and when I call VZN they tell me to reset the ONT.  The image attached is of the connection center in my basement.  I have two questions.

1. Is the black box circled in red my ONT?

2. The wire for the white power adapter circled in red goes thru the connection box to the outside i'm assuming.  Anyone know what this white power adapter is powering?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is this my ONT?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The box circled in black should be your ONT's power supply. I'm not sure what the box in white is. Any labels or markings on it?

The box outside is likely your ONT. Older installs used to have the ONT placed outside, with a power supply and battery backup maintained inside of the home. At some point, Verizon must have stopped by to replace a bad power supply.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The box circled in black should be your ONT's power supply. I'm not sure what the box in white is. Any labels or markings on it?

The box outside is likely your ONT. Older installs used to have the ONT placed outside, with a power supply and battery backup maintained inside of the home. At some point, Verizon must have stopped by to replace a bad power supply.

shobuddy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Smith, thank you for the reponse.  When I talk to Verizon techs, they always tell me to hold the reset button on the ONT.  I now know that this is just the power supply and not the ONT.  This is a new construction home that was completed about a year ago.  The white power supply turned out to be the home security system. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, gotcha.

Typically if you need to reset the ONT, you can just unplug the power supply and if there's a battery backup, disconnect the battery. The ONT upon booting will pull it's configuration down from Verizon, similar to a cable modem.

0 Likes