For the better part of the last week I have been encountering "Looking up (web page name/address)" with Firefox or Resolving Host with Chrome whenever I go to access a web site via Bookmark or search engine. I am able to access the web without problem. Speed test results do not show any issues. I can ge to the web right away except when I go to the web site the browsers always show they are looking for the web address. Sometimes the delay is a few seconds to more than 30 and on occassion 2-3 mins to load a page. If the page has a lot of ads or links to external sites, the message box runs constantly with "looking up" each link's address. Even a straight web address like Verizon or Google is taking upwards of 5 secs or more to load.
I've changed DNS addresses to OpenDNS and GoogleDNS with no change. I've reset my router, no good. I've reinstalled Firefox and Chrome with same results. I had contacted VZ tech support via chat (which was a waste of an hour as this person first had no grasp of what the problem is and all he insisted me to do was connect to the router via ethernet instead of wireless) and telephone support (who concluded the issue may be router related after checking the lines and pinging my system, and ordered a replacement for me).
Anyone else encounter this problem and/or have solved it? I've seen a few posts referrencing this which go back a few years and those solutions didn't help.
Thanks in advance.
I had that off and on too and it was my antivirus and firewall causing it. I used Norton and whatever they did when they updated the software caused it to block my browsers from the internet whenever THEY got an update. I have all three browswers (FF, Chrome, and IE10 or whatever it is) and at various times one or another was not working. If I turned off my antivirus firewall and tried I had no problem connecting, but once I activated it again, BAM...no access. I found out Norton 360 and Chrome especially do not play nice together I switched from Norton when my subscription was up, and have had no problems at al connecting. I can't remember now what I used to do to get them working nice together again, something to do with clearing the cache on Chrome and resetting something. I googled and found something in the chrome or norton forums on it. Wish I could remember what I did to get it restored. It had nothing to do with my router though I do remember that much. 🙂
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I am not running Norton's but the McAfee suite that VZ provides. Now, perhaps there were some settings changed during the last software update? I need to root through it. Too bad Windows system restore doesn't work with Windows 7 or I'd "turn the clock back" and see if that would work.
I'd try disabling the firewall for a second then trying to connect..if you can, then it is the firewall settings. If you still can't, the you will know it is not a firewall problem at least 🙂 Good luck!!
The issue has been resolved (pun intended). I found a more detailed way to flush the DNS cache and restore MS's Host files on the Windows Seven Forum (http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/336501-google-chrome-resolving-host.html ) . It is a small batch file to run. Used it and haven't had any "looking up" or "resolving host" messages since. Performance is back up to speed.
Thanks for your suggestions.