MI424wr Router
nightrover

I have to reset my router at least once a week and keep loosing connection to my Samsung smart TV  all the time and once in awhile to my laptop . Verizon checked and said nothing wrong with router. It must be the TV and laptop. Bull. Is there a router that has better range than Verizon's router?

0 Likes
Re: MI424wr Router
prisaz
Legend

What Rev router do you have?

Rev A-D are very obsolete. Rev E-F better, Rev. I being the newest. Rev. G I believe was issued only to business customers.

Intermittent disconnect issues are difficult to troubleshoot. Is this connection hard wired or wireless?

#1 have Verizon replace the router. If it is an older model or you have had it for more than two years, there should be no questions asked in regards to a replacement.

#2 would be to replace the ONT which means a tech visit and a high cost to Verizon. So this option would only be done if all other possibilities have been exhausted.

Since you mentioned range, you must be talking about a wireless issue. But this should not cause a need to reboot the router. If you are interested in wireless range, you may wish to read some of these threads.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-b...

0 Likes
edcronin
Enthusiast - Level 2

For 7 months we had to reboot the router because of dropped internet connection. We went through at least a dozen techs on the phone, 6 techs visited the house, went through 3 routers, installed Ethernet cable from control box to router, moved portable phone that was next to router, stopped using iPads, etc. Nothing worked! Finally a tech, Jim Murphy, showed up two days before St. Patrick's day , saw the problem before he came in the house. Where the cable is attached to the house the "loop" was too small. He installed a new bracket and enlarged the loop. It took about 15 minutes to fix. The problem we were having had nothing to do with the equipment in side the house! We have had no dropped internet connections since then! We had been a Fios customer for 30 months before we started having problems.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@edcronin wrote:

For 7 months we had to reboot the router because of dropped internet connection. We went through at least a dozen techs on the phone, 6 techs visited the house, went through 3 routers, installed Ethernet cable from control box to router, moved portable phone that was next to router, stopped using iPads, etc. Nothing worked! Finally a tech, Jim Murphy, showed up two days before St. Patrick's day , saw the problem before he came in the house. Where the cable is attached to the house the "loop" was too small. He installed a new bracket and enlarged the loop. It took about 15 minutes to fix. The problem we were having had nothing to do with the equipment in side the house! We have had no dropped internet connections since then! We had been a Fios customer for 30 months before we started having problems.

Depending on how strong the fiber signal is to your home, a tightly wound loop could cause a higher than normal line loss, and may not have been noticed until more users had been added to the fiber splt. My cable has a splice box that has about a 3" loop with clean inner cable spliced in the box, then about 7 12" loops of cable before it enters my ONT which is mounted in my basement laundry room. Perhaps 7 is a lucky number. I believe the tech thought it may be moved at some point. ~40 feet of my cable runs underground, and then another 44 feet along my fence before it enters a conduit into my house.

I have had every speed since 2005, from 15/2 up to 150/65. AFC ONT 610, Tellabs ONT 612, both on BPON, and now Alcatel-Lucent 1-211M-H now on GPON at 150/65. The following Actiontec Routers Rev. A, C, D, E, and now Rev. I GigE.

I have never had any connection issues, other than speed issues, NAT table issues with the routers due to the increased number of devices, and increased speeds over the years. The routers were progressively replaced or upgraded.

Good luck and I hope your connection issue gets resolved. I was saying try the router as a first step, unless it is the latest new router, or it is a wireless issue.

0 Likes