Manual login to network?
OldChinaBooks

I'd like to wait until my firewall and other security software is up and running before starting the VZ network, otherwise there's a brief period of vulnerability there.

Any way to manually login to the network.

James

0 Likes
Re: Manual login to network?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure, just don't connect your computer to the network until you're ready.  Leave Wi-Fi off or the Ethernet cord unplugged while starting up and then enable it when you're ready.

Have Fun.

0 Likes
Re: Manual login to network?
OldChinaBooks

A functional workaround to be sure, unplugging the Ethernet, however I was hoping for a software solution, like the CONNECT button that appears for the Wi-Fi connections, which I have to click to initiate a connection. There's less risk in having a connection ony when I want it, rather than all the time when I'm not always watching.

As it turns out, in the time it takes in this remote location for the VZ landline DSL to go from Local to Internet Access, ZoneAlarm and AVG come up. As long as the connection is not vulnerable during that interval, the system is protected. Also, the OS firewall is up before everthing else so, even if one is not supposed to be running both firewalls simultaneously, that may also provide some measure of protection.

0 Likes