Modem Replacement Options
mwt137

I live in an MDU, so I need both a modem and router installed in my unit.  I have a G3100 router and a Zyxel Prestige 861 modem.  I have been noticing that several times a day, the VDSL light on the modem will go out, causing my internet to drop for a minute before coming back online.  Because the issue is intermittent and doesn't last that long, whenever I contact Verizon support, they're unable to help me on this issue.  I would like to try to replace the modem on my own then, but I'm not sure what my options are since Verizon originally supplied the modem.  Am I allowed to bring in my own modem, and are there other modems besides the Zyxel Prestige 861 that I could use?

0 Likes
Re: Modem Replacement Options
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

By default both devices have the same LAN IP.

Please follow me the following..

#1 Is the WAN port of the G3100 NAT router connected to the modem or is one of the LAN ports of the G3100 connected to the modem?

#2 What is the current LAN IP of the G3100?

#3 Check what the Default Gateway is on your computer.

a) Go to Start. Type in cmd and from the list select Command prompt.

b) Type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#4 Going to the Default Gateway takes you to your G3100?

#5 Go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/

#6 Record down what the IPv4 Address is.

#7 Please tell me if you saw that same IP Address in your G3100?

---

REFs for me (and any other helpers)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1180944/Zyxel-Communications-Prestige-861.html?page=26#manual

https://www.manualowl.com/m/ZyXEL/P-861H-G1/Download/349095

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/internet/fio...

mwt137

To answer your questions:

1) The WAN port of the G3100 is connected to the modem

For #2 and #3, the current LAN IP is very close to what the default gateway is, but the last few numbers are different.

4) When I type in the default gateway on my browser, it does take me to my router

5) The IPv4 that shows up when I go to this website is very different from the one that shows up in the command prompt.  

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you did not tell me what the LAN IP of the G3100 is, I have to do it this way.

#1 In the G3100 go to Basic -> Status -> General.

#2 Only if the WAN IPv4 Address is one of these:

a) 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

b) 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255

c) 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

then you are to go the Default Gateway that is listed in the G3100.

#3 Login to the Zyxel Prestige 861.

By default, the username is admin and the password is 1234.

#4 Once logged in, go to Diagnostic -> DSL Line.

#5 Click on ATM Loopback Test

mwt137

Thanks- I am getting slightly different LAN IPs for my G3100 depending on where I look.  When I go into the command prompt, it states the IPv4 address is 192.168.1.159.  When I log into my router, it states the LAN IPv4 address is 192.168.1.1 (this is also what my Default Gateway is).  Also, when I am logged into the router, there is nothing listed for a WAN IPv4 address.  There is a listing for simply "IPv4 address" without WAN preceding it, but that IP address does not fall within any of the ranges you provided.

In addition, when I go to the Default Gateway, I am prompted to enter the password located on the back end of my router.  There is no option for me to enter a username to log in to the Zyxel modem.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the ZyXel is causing problems, you should be able to get VZ to swap it out. I believe VZ is currently using D-LINK 6300v VDSL modems for MDU installs.

I strongly do NOT recommend using a third party modem. If your line is not working, VZ will not provide support if you're not using their modem.

The 6300v is a VZ specific model.

[EDIT] Also

#1 Does you have a computer with a wired ethernet NIC?

#2 If your computer does not: Does any computer you get can permission to use have a wired ethernet  NIC?

#3 Do you know how to setup a Manual Static IPv4 Address on your computer?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those VDSL setups are ancient. Hopefully Verizon replaces that FiOS build-out with actual Fiber to the Unit.

Contact Verizon for a new modem. If it continues to act up and you've made no changes to your wiring, have Verizon come out. They may need to inspect the wiring in your building and/or the ONT supplying the DSL connectivity to your unit. If your neighbors are also seeing problems with their FiOS service, it may be a failing ONT.