My Quantum Router that I bought doesn't like 1GB Internet...
JamesK11

I just upgraded to 1GB speed today and the tech replaced all the hardware inside and outside for this upgrade... but for some reason the quantum router I bought two years ago keeps disconnecting.  It's been working fine before today.  My laptop (wired connection) will show a connection for a few mins and as I run a speed test, it disconnects saying there's No Internet right in the middle of the test.   The router shows both the internet and wifi signals with a solid white light.   The tech let me borrow another quantum router and that works fine.  I'm borrowing it for now until I can figure this out.  I checked the firmware on both and they are both on the same version.   Is there a difference in the hardware from 2yrs ago that could be causing the disconnects?  Do I need to buy another router?

0 Likes
Re: My Quantum Router that I bought doesn't like 1GB Internet...
jonjones1
Legend

@JamesK1wrote:

I just upgraded to 1GB speed today and the tech replaced all the hardware inside and outside for this upgrade... but for some reason the quantum router I bought two years ago keeps disconnecting.  It's been working fine before today.  My laptop (wired connection) will show a connection for a few mins and as I run a speed test, it disconnects saying there's No Internet right in the middle of the test.   The router shows both the internet and wifi signals with a solid white light.   The tech let me borrow another quantum router and that works fine.  I'm borrowing it for now until I can figure this out.  I checked the firmware on both and they are both on the same version.   Is there a difference in the hardware from 2yrs ago that could be causing the disconnects?  Do I need to buy another router?

Depending on if it was a Verizon Fios router, versus a firmer Fios now Frontier could be the culprit. Now if your borrowered Quantum is up to date it should have had a firmware update a month or so back. The one you own may not be the same firmware.

i always say use your own store bought router. 

Decisions to ponder.

0 Likes
JamesK11

The one I bought has the Verizon label on the sides and the same model number on the back.  The firmware versions are the same as on the borrowed one.   My router shows a HW rev 1.03 while the new one shows rev 1.04.  I wonder if that makes a difference? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JamesK1wrote:

The one I bought has the Verizon label on the sides and the same model number on the back.  The firmware versions are the same as on the borrowed one.   My router shows a HW rev 1.03 while the new one shows rev 1.04.  I wonder if that makes a difference? 

Could be. I would still go with a better router than the Quantum router.

if the borrowered Quantum is having no issues than you know the one you have is defective.

0 Likes
JamesK11

I'm not sure what you mean.. what's a better router than the Quantum for FIOS?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are plenty of routers available at various price points.
A quick google search can give you recommendations.

Different people will have different opinions on what is "best"

A lot will depend on your budget.

If you have FiOS TV service with their STB, it is best you stick with Quantum router unless you have some networking skills and can configure your router to support the STBs.

Otherwise, you are free to use whichever router you wish.

0 Likes
JamesK11

I'm a bit confused.. You guys are saying a 3rd party router would give me the 1GB speeds I'm looking for?  I'm wondering why wouldn't the Quantum router that's licensed by Verizon not do this on their own network?  Also, wouldn't the 3rd party router need to go through the Quantum router to get to the internet and provide coax for the TV (yes, I do have the TV service).   Are you saying there are 3rd party routers that can completely replace the quantum router and connect directly to the FIOS line AND coax for the TV?     

Going back to my original question though.. I disconnected the borrowed quantum router for a couple hours and then reconnected my original quantum router and it's working fine now... 800+ dl and 900+ ul.  Good enough for me.   Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Quantum router will support 1g.

And you would need a moca adapter to use a non Verizon router to provide service to stbs.

As for verifying speeds, the only valid test from a PC or other device is to speedtest.Verizon.net. Needs to be via an Ethernet connection to router.

Service speeds only relate to access to Verizon network. Not beyond.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JamesK1wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean.. what's a better router than the Quantum for FIOS?

Off the top my Netgear Nighthawk R8500 and if you google you will find Asus and many more. The routers that have external antenna have better and faster WiFi. Quantum gateway is know for terrible WiFi coverage, also Quantum does not have beam forming nor does it handle the newer AC/A standards. There is another standard but I believe the Quantum doesn’t have that either. In fact I don’t believe any device makers have installed the faster radios as of yet. So hype at best for now.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JamesK1wrote:

I'm a bit confused.. You guys are saying a 3rd party router would give me the 1GB speeds I'm looking for?  I'm wondering why wouldn't the Quantum router that's licensed by Verizon not do this on their own network?  Also, wouldn't the 3rd party router need to go through the Quantum router to get to the internet and provide coax for the TV (yes, I do have the TV service).   Are you saying there are 3rd party routers that can completely replace the quantum router and connect directly to the FIOS line AND coax for the TV?     

Going back to my original question though.. I disconnected the borrowed quantum router for a couple hours and then reconnected my original quantum router and it's working fine now... 800+ dl and 900+ ul.  Good enough for me.   Thanks for the help.

If you set the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router as to just get the DHCP (connection to the internet) you can use a high end quality router in access point mode and still keep your tv service since the coaxial would still be going to the set top box.

now after your newer router is up and running the process is to turn off all WiFi on the Quantum router (2.4 & 5 Ghz and guest mode) then only use the new router for the better and stable WiFi. Yes it’s overkill but like I said in my other reply to you the WiFi is far superior with external antenna and beam forming and faster standards the Quantum does not use. Additionally the USB etc on the Quantum are not functional but on my Netgear everything is functional.

additionally Verizon Fios does not nor will it give support if their router is not in the mix.

they support then only up to the ONT. So unless you know what your doing networking wise if the router is the cause you have to fix it yourself. Something to ponder.

and in your last paragraph you now say the other one is functional. I would guess it was just in need of an update etc from Fios pushed to it, or had to be registered on the network. Or maybe the genie decided to let it function 😀

0 Likes