NETFLIX and AMAZON VIDEO STREAMING SPEED IS AWFUL
MIHJAF

We use Netflix almost daily, and subscribe to Verizon's highest speed plan. The streamng on Netflix is terrible, and it is not even on HD anymore.  We have the same problem with Amazon video. I've read that Verizon is Throtling the speeds for these two services, and that is unacceptable. is a complaint to the FTC in order? I see a lot of other comments regarding this same problem on here and in other blogs. The customer service reps, of course, have nothing to say about it, except telling us to check with Netflix or Amazon. 

0 Likes
Re: NETFLIX and AMAZON VIDEO STREAMING SPEED IS AWFUL
boston13

We have been having the same problem with Netflix for the last few months. We recently upgraded to 50/25 and the issue seems to have got worse. I have contacted both Verizon and Netflix and they simply point fingers at each other. I was about to look into Amazon Prime but it seems that may not be a solution.

0 Likes
MIHJAF

I just spent an hour and a half with a very nice representative from Verizon trying to figure out what is happening. We tried to reset the router several times, and he rebuilt the connection as well. None of that helped with the streaming quality for Netflix. 

During our wait on the phone call, we decided to try out Redbox to see how the quality was. The interesting thing is that the first 10-15 seconds of the Redbox movie were bad, and then it fixed itself and streamed perfectly. Seeing this, we decided to stop the redbox movie and quickly go to Netflix to stream content hoping that the issue had rectified itself, but oh surprise, the quality turned horrible again with no improvement. This solidified suspicions that the streamng quality issue is isolated to Netflix and Amazon. BTW, we tried doing this switch between redbox and Netflix several times, and every time, it did the same thing: redbox fixed itself within seconds, and Netflix kept the deteriorated picture for the duration of the stream. 

By the end of my call with the very nice verizon representative, I asked to escalate the issue since we had found no resolution after a thorough job. he said that I had the right to escalate it, and sent me to the supervisor, who was also very nice. The supervisor told me (just like the representative did), that Verizon had sent a memo out to all emplyees stating that Verizon was not throtling speeeds for Netflix as has been claimed. Therefore the supervisor couldn't say anything beyond that memo, except to hold the company line saying that all internet traffic is treated equally. She offered to send me a new router to see if that would fix the problem. I have taken her up on the offer, but I am not hopeful seeing that Verizon does in fact have great quality when streaming from redbox. Furthermore, The speed change is noticeable when you toggle from Netflix to redbox and viceversa. I'm sure that if I had the right tools, I'd be able to see the very obvious speed change when using these two different services. 

Because of the new evidence that we experienced regarding the noticeable difference between Netflix and Redbox, we have put a complaint into the Federal Trade Commission. After all, We are not receiveing the benefits of the high speed that we purchased with video streaming in mind, and it is obvious that Verizon is causing the poor quality in anything outside of Redbox. If enough people do this, the FTC will listen, and Verizon will have to go beyond  just sending a memo out saying that theyre not causing the problem. 

0 Likes
MIHJAF

Update:

Just chatted with Netflix, and tested the speed of the data coming in, and the cause of the bad video quality was isolated to the ISP (verizon). Representative suggested I contact Verizon and ask them to conference in Netflix so that Verizon can do a test to the Netflix server individually and reset their connection. 

0 Likes
aledr
I am having the same issue. I just tested the netflix in my iPad mini, roku and iPhone 5 LTE sprint. In both the iPad and roll, using the wireless system from Verizon fios, I was not able to get the picture. When I use the iPhone 5 in LTE from sprint, I was able to get signal and HD quality.

Verizon, if I am paying for your services, you should provided it. I am thinking of canceling the service and just go with someone lease.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes