Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Netgear RangeMax DGND3000 as Access point?
mdezrin
Newbie

Can my Netgear DGND3300 function as a wireless access point on my Verizon FIOS network? My FIOS modem/router is a MI424WR-GEN2.

If the answer is yes, what settings do I need to make this seemless? Ideally, I want it on the same SSID so the tablets and laptops will just have continuous coverage throughout my house. The goal is to extend coverage since the verizon router is in the basement. I have coax throughout the house so I can strategically place the netgear.

 

Could it also be used to set up a guest network like when I had it for DSL?

 

thx!

0 Likes
Re: Netgear RangeMax DGND3000 as Access point?
dslr595148
Super User
Super User

#1 The answer to your first question is yes.

See http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

#2 If you have any questions, please ask.

#3


@mdezrin wrote:

I have coax throughout the house so I can strategically place the netgear.

 



There is going to be the issue that your Netgear does not have coax. For the wired connection the Netgear only has RJ-45 ports.

#4 For your last question


@mdezrin wrote:

Could it also be used to set up a guest network like when I had it for DSL?

 


I do not if / how that is possible.

0 Likes
Re: Netgear RangeMax DGND3000 as Access point?
viafax999
Super User
Super User

@mdezrin wrote:

Can my Netgear DGND3300 function as a wireless access point on my Verizon FIOS network? My FIOS modem/router is a MI424WR-GEN2.

If the answer is yes, what settings do I need to make this seemless? Ideally, I want it on the same SSID so the tablets and laptops will just have continuous coverage throughout my house. The goal is to extend coverage since the verizon router is in the basement. I have coax throughout the house so I can strategically place the netgear.

 

Could it also be used to set up a guest network like when I had it for DSL?

 

thx!


As the guy on the Netgear forum stated last July, the guest network won't work if you set up the netgear as an ap only 

To make it work you need the netgear router to be issuing dhcp leases.

You could do that by making the netgear router a different subnet  I.E. connect a lan port of the actiontec to the wan port of the netgear - the downside of this is that it makes it difficult for devices on the actiontec sub-net to access devices on the netgear subnet.

Otherwise maybe it's possible to disable the dhcp server on the actiontec and enable it on the netgear instead,  might be worth trying

I never bothered.  I decided the fios router was so bad that I just use it to control the stb's and built my own subnets on my own routers below it.