New to FIOS, questions about installation!
GoldenEye7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

I'm a little late on the FIOS thing, but I just received a letter telling me DSL is being discontinued, so I figured now oule be the time to order it. I'm a complete FIOS noob, and I have 3 questions before the technician arrives tomorrow:

1) I have a rather odd situation at my home, as I have two separate phone numbers coming into my home. Mine is upstairs (in an office), while my other family member gets theirs downstairs through the rest of the house. I have paid mine separately for the last 20 years, even though it is at the same address. When I called the representative, she assured me my FIOS connection would be done separately than the other line, and that the other line would be undisturbed. I just wanted to confirm that this is true?

2) When I first activated my line years ago, the line came through into an attic office. Since then, I have moved my phone down one floor, and run a phone extension cable from the entry point in the attic to my office on the 2nd floor. When the FIOS guy comes, can he reposition the entry of the FIOS service, so that it can come into my house closer to where my current office is? Or will he have to use the old attic entry, forcing me to run extension lines downstairs again?

3) I know this will sound ridiculous, but is there a "PHONE IN" jack on the back of the router they will give me? In other words, how will my old phone connect to the service? Right now, it's connected to an old copper phone line coming into the house through the attic.

Apologies in advance if any of these questions sound stupid but I haven't gone through an installation process since DSL, and I did that one myself lol.

Thanks!

Re: New to FIOS, questions about installation!
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hi....

1) I don't know.  If you have two separate accounts and the rep told you it would stay that way, I hope it will just stay that way.

2)  The FiOS installation consists of two basic boxes, an "ONT" and a router.   The ONT will be in your garage, or an outside wall.  Here's what the ONT looks like in my garage:

It, the ONT, is the box on the far left.  The smaller box below it is the battery back-up power supply.

The ONT feeds your phone and Internet.  Typical Internet output is coax to your router.  The phone output is a standard RJ-11 phone line output.  Thus I expect your new phone service could be run to your 2nd floor office.

3)  No.  The FiOS router does not have a phone jack.  As explained above, a standard telephone (of any vintage) will be connected to the ONT via RJ-11 connectors and standard telephone cable.

Good luck.  One thing is for sure...FiOS Internet service is a LOT better than DSL. Smiley Wink