Not getting gigabit speeds 30down 10 up
Mark_H1

Just signed up for Fios.  Can’t seem to get more than 30-60mb download speeds.  This is using Verizon’s test my speed feature.  Wired or wireless.  My neighbor has Comcast and wireless using the Verizon speed test I get 250 Down.  This is crazy.  I have tried resetting the connection numerous times.  Resetting router.  I am using a netgear nighthawk router.  Are they limiting me because I’m not using their router?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Not getting gigabit speeds 30down 10 up
Mark_H1

0 Likes
Mark_H1

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Mark_H wrote:

Just signed up for Fios.  Can’t seem to get more than 30-60mb download speeds.  This is using Verizon’s test my speed feature.  Wired or wireless.  My neighbor has Comcast and wireless using the Verizon speed test I get 250 Down.  This is crazy.  I have tried resetting the connection numerous times.  Resetting router.  I am using a netgear nighthawk router.  Are they limiting me because I’m not using their router?

You must first reset your Nighthawk to factory, you then hook it up via ethernet after your dhcp has been released. After you get internet you then go into settings and turn off QOS via routers 192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.net and you cannot use verizons speed test servers unless you have a Fios router. 

For effective testing of this speed you need to have the Fios Quantum Gateway either as a single connected router or either primary or secondary (bridge or access point mode) and if you are just internet only with the Netgear try testing at Ookla and see what that says.

wifi speeds will never reach 940/880 even on a perfect system. And those speeds must be at optimal conditions.  And if you run the speed tests via direct computer to the routers lan port then to the test site your numbers will vary.

if you have a Fios router and test directly the numbers should be higher. Verizon will not support the Nighthawk so it would be what the speeds are from your ONT to Fios servers..

call 1-800-VERIZON have them test to see what the speed is up to the ONT

0 Likes
Mark_H1

Reset modem to factory settings.  Made sure qos is turned off.  Directly wired to router I am now getting 90down 9 up.  Tested four different times and received similar results.  This seems to be on Verizon’s end.  Bypassed the nighthawk and results did not improve.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Sorry for the delay.

if you hook up a Verizon Quantum Gateway Router via ethernet for your gigabyte speeds the old router must first be dhcp released. Then immediately unplug that router and the attach the ethernet cable to the wan port on the Quantum router.

wait for it to boot up completely 5-6 minutes and see a white globe. (You do have a Fios Quantum Gateway Router)? Then attach an Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on the Quantum router then the other to your computer. Not wireless then test at this site.

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

Only with a fios Fios Quantum Gateway Router G1100 and test the speed.

if it is around 940/880 as per Verizon Fios then the connection to their router is fine.

you cannot test a Netgear Nighthawk on verizons speedtest site as a stand alone router. You could after Quantum setup place the Nighthawk in access point mode, the after its fully booted you go into the Quantum settings 192.168.1.1 and turn off the Fios routers WiFi. 

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

After that is done you go back to the Verizon speedtest site and try again. Because their is a Fios router in the mix you can call 1-800-VERIZON and get technical support.

you then can have tech support check to see if you are provisioned correctly.

this is what the installer should have done prior to leaving your home.

0 Likes