ONT Ethernet ->MOCA adapter->COAX-> G1100?
Ratm68

My house is only wired for coaxial and I'd like to get speed higher than 100/100. I understand that higher speed requires Ethernet from the ONT. Can I activate the Ethernet port on the ONT, connect that to a MOCA adapter, then output that to the current Coax in my house which will connect to the G1100 quantum router? Basically i'm looking for a way to retrofit higher speed to the router over coax. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT Ethernet ->MOCA adapter->COAX-> G1100?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@coachDOC wrote:

"

Yes but you will need two MoCA adapters. You will have to wire like this...

ONT > ethernet > adapter > coax adapter > ethernet to router’s WAN port. "

Why do you need ethernet to the WAN port in that case?  If the moca adapter connects to the coax, why can't the G1100 connect directly to a coax jack?

Thanks.

The G1100 can definitely connect to the ONT via the coax jack but only for speeds up to 100 mbps. The ONT uses WAN MoCA at 1000 MHz. The MoCA adapters use LAN MoCA at 1100-1175 MHz. If you want speeds higher than 100 mbps you need to run an ethernet directly from the ONT to your router’s WAN port. If you can’t run the ethernet then you need to use a pair of MoCA adapters. 
ONT > ethernet > adapter > coax > adapter > ethernet to router. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT > ethernet > adapter > coax adapter > ethernet to router’s WAN port. 

coachDOC
Enthusiast - Level 2

"

Why do you need ethernet to the WAN port in that case?  If the moca adapter connects to the coax, why can't the G1100 connect directly to a coax jack?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@coachDOC wrote:

"

Thanks.

The G1100 can definitely connect to the ONT via the coax jack but only for speeds up to 100 mbps. The ONT uses WAN MoCA at 1000 MHz. The MoCA adapters use LAN MoCA at 1100-1175 MHz. If you want speeds higher than 100 mbps you need to run an ethernet directly from the ONT to your router’s WAN port. If you can’t run the ethernet then you need to use a pair of MoCA adapters. 
ONT > ethernet > adapter > coax > adapter > ethernet to router. 

alano99991

Hi - Confused as to why 2 MoCa devices are needed is connecting to coax port on 
G1100 which supports MoCa 2.0

This will not give full capability of ethernet, but for speeds supported by MoCa 2.0, wouldn't this be sufficient?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon routers have TWO MoCA ports built in.  There is an internal splitter on the coax input that connects to both of these ports.  One port is for the MoCA LAN used to talk to the set-top-boxes, extenders and any other MoCA devices you might install.  The other port is for the MoCA WAN link from the ONT.  The two MoCA links use different frequencies on the coax so they don't interfere with each other, as we described above.

The ONT's MoCA port is only capable of 100Mbps.  That's why you have to switch to Ethernet for higher speeds.  Any MoCA adapter you purchase will be setup to use the same frequency as the LAN devices, including the router's MoCA LAN port.  If you attach a MoCA adapter to the ONT's Ethernet port, it won't talk to the router's MoCA WAN port.  It will talk to the router's MoCA LAN port, which won't work.

If you must you coax between the ONT and the router, you need to install a pair of MoCA adapters as has been described in the first post.  Further, you can't share the segment of coax between the ONT and router with the LAN devices.  If you connect it to the router's LAN port you'll have short-circuited the LAN and WAN connections.  Nothing will work.

Finding MoCA adapters that operate on the WAN frequency can be difficult and expensive.  If you can find them, you could operate a pair on the same coax as the LAN.  If you find them, post the details as I haven't seen any for sale in years.

If you don't have TV service, it may be easy to use a dedicated coax segment between the ONT's and router's MoCA adapters.  If you have TV, it gets complicated as you likely need that same segment to connect to the ONT.  Then you'd have everything on the same coax network, which will fail.

Are you sure you can't run Ethernet?  It really is the best solution.  Depending on your home's construction, this can be an easy job.  You can find all sorts of videos and tutorials online that show how to pull cable through walls and ceilings in a typical stick-built home.  If you don't want to DIY, there are lots of contractors who can do this type of job.  You don't need an electrician.

NeedMoreSpeed

I have the exact same situation and followed the "solution" here, but no luck, the speed stayed the same (in my case it's about 150 mpbs on coax), and I was hoping to the get the 300 mbps I'm paying for after installing the MoCA adapters as described here, but no change. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes