ONT outside and can’t run CAT5
Battles1

So... my ONT is on the outside of my house and there is no room to run a CAT5 cable through the hole. I want to use my own router and was wondering if I can connect a Moca adapter to the already run Coax cable and run the CAT5 from the adapter to the router. I have a Linksys 8300 smart WiFi router. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT outside and can’t run CAT5
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most MoCA adaptors are designed for MoCA LAN.  The ONT uses a different channel for MoCA WAN.  I'm not sure if MoCA WAN adaptors are available, but if you can find one, it should work.

That said, MoCA WAN is limited to 100Mbps.  If  you're on a higher speed tier, Verizon will be hesitant to provision the ONT for MoCA WAN.  If you are on a lower speed tier and upgrade, they may want to send a tech to run the Ethernet cable and switch your ONT from the old BPON model to a GPON model.

Another option is to install a MoCA LAN adaptor at the ONT and another at your router.  This only works if you do not have Verizon TV services.  Of course, you'll need a power source for the adaptor, which could be a problem.

If you have FiOS TV services, you pretty much need one of their routers in the system.  In that case, turn of it's WiFi and plug your router into the LAN port on the Verizon router.  That's the easiest way to use your own router and maintain TV services.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Battles wrote:

So... my ONT is on the outside of my house and there is no room to run a CAT5 cable through the hole. I want to use my own router and was wondering if I can connect a Moca adapter to the already run Coax cable and run the CAT5 from the adapter to the router. I have a Linksys 8300 smart WiFi router. 

Just a thought, mine is outside the home and you can always remove the screws holding it on the house, drill an additional hole and run cat6 through the hole, connect to the ont and leave enough ethernet to reach your router. Then put the ont back on the house. Have a friend help you. Remember before drilling to have a meter to show hot wires within the wall. You don't want to drill into live wires. And buy a tube of gel filler to seal the hole from weather. 

Battles1

Maybe I should have mentioned that the front of the house where the ONT is located is made of brick and I don't want to drill an additional hole through it. If it would have been wood or something simple to drill through I would have.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most MoCA adaptors are designed for MoCA LAN.  The ONT uses a different channel for MoCA WAN.  I'm not sure if MoCA WAN adaptors are available, but if you can find one, it should work.

That said, MoCA WAN is limited to 100Mbps.  If  you're on a higher speed tier, Verizon will be hesitant to provision the ONT for MoCA WAN.  If you are on a lower speed tier and upgrade, they may want to send a tech to run the Ethernet cable and switch your ONT from the old BPON model to a GPON model.

Another option is to install a MoCA LAN adaptor at the ONT and another at your router.  This only works if you do not have Verizon TV services.  Of course, you'll need a power source for the adaptor, which could be a problem.

If you have FiOS TV services, you pretty much need one of their routers in the system.  In that case, turn of it's WiFi and plug your router into the LAN port on the Verizon router.  That's the easiest way to use your own router and maintain TV services.

Enjoy.