One machine connected via Ethernet can't get to the internet at times.
tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

One machine connected via Ethernet can't get to the internet at times.  It's still connected to the network, just can't get to websites.

I tried everything from here:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/fios-internet/ipv6-causing-0mpbs-upload-speed/td-p/918778/page/4

I've turned off IPv6 on the network card (Intel I219-LM) and am still having the issue.

Router is a G1100 with firmware 02.03.00.14, it just started happening last week (11/4/2022).

IPv6 was already disabled on the G1100.

Not sure what to try next.

Rebooting the router seems to help it for a day maybe two days sometimes, but not always.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: One machine connected via Ethernet can't get to the internet at times.
capsaicin
Enthusiast - Level 1

After a couple of days of arduous troubleshooting, including a fresh Windows installation, I figured out my specific problem was Verizon's Home Network Protection causing issues with the device my Plex server was hosted on. Not sure if that applies in your case, but I would look into turning that off (through your MyFios app) and see if that helps.

View solution in original post

capsaicin
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here as well. I also had a Verizon technician come out recently and they replaced the router and ONT, and the Ethernet line that runs into my apartment so that likely rules out any hardware issue, and I'm still having issues as well. IPV6 has already been disabled on my G3100, but I'll still get frequent disconnects of up to a minute to 3 minutes every so often, where internet just completely drops on my laptop connected via Ethernet. When this happens, every ping I try to any website says connection timed out.

This started very recently as well, probably around a week similar to you. Oddly enough, my Ethernet completely wipes out after disconnecting from a VPN until I restart my router. Might be placebo, but when connected via VPN, I don't think I have any of these drops, but more testing needed. 

I suspect it's something on Verizon's end where they might have pushed something recently, or maybe even a Windows 11 update. I want a solution to this asap before the World Cup starts. Already had several disconnects streaming football today.

0 Likes
tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thinking it was the Network Card because of the stuff I read on the link in my original post, I bought a USB NIC and tested it out and still had the same issue.

I'm still on Windows 10, so it's not specific to a Windows 11 update, but I guess it could have been a Windows Update, but when I looked at the update history there were no updates around the time this started happening for me.

0 Likes
capsaicin
Enthusiast - Level 1

After a couple of days of arduous troubleshooting, including a fresh Windows installation, I figured out my specific problem was Verizon's Home Network Protection causing issues with the device my Plex server was hosted on. Not sure if that applies in your case, but I would look into turning that off (through your MyFios app) and see if that helps.

tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

At this point, anything is worth a try!  I just had to reset the router again so I also turned the Home Network Protection off and will see what happens.  Thanks for this tip.

tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

So far 48 hours since disabling the Home Network Protection and I haven't had the issue again...  still waiting till I call it fixed though.  😁