Options for internet only router connection
Charliep67
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi I have FiOS internet only. I had tv and internet but I dropped the tv service. I was wondering if it is possible to get rid of the coaxial cable and just use Ethernet cable from the ont to the router. I have gigabit service with the newest router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Options for internet only router connection
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually no. A mesh system would exacerbate the interference. Each mesh node is a signal transmitter, and they use wireless to backhaul the connection. Given your apartment is saturated with frequencies, you don't want to add more frequencies to the chaos.

You should really hardwire as many devices as you could. IoTs (printers, cameras, plugs, and etc.) should be always hardwired to prevent hacking over the air, ...of course, given they have an Ethernet interface. Desktops and laptops should be hardwired too. Technically, you can hardwire an iPhone and an iPad too, but who likes to walk around with a wire?

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

You can use any router with Fios as long as you have been switched to ethernet service.

you can save a load of money on Fios router rentals by just buying an Asus or TP link at a computer store with many costing around $50 or a little more.

you can still continue to use the Verizon router via simply using an ethernet cable and just plugging the cable into the wan port and you should be good to go.

no need for coaxial at all with gigabit speed

Charliep67
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the info. I think I oaied up front for the router. But I was thinking if getting nest wifi mesh system. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment so wifi should not really be a problem but there are 8 apartments in my building alone and there are 7 building in the complex so there is a lot of interference so a mesh system might be my best option. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually no. A mesh system would exacerbate the interference. Each mesh node is a signal transmitter, and they use wireless to backhaul the connection. Given your apartment is saturated with frequencies, you don't want to add more frequencies to the chaos.

You should really hardwire as many devices as you could. IoTs (printers, cameras, plugs, and etc.) should be always hardwired to prevent hacking over the air, ...of course, given they have an Ethernet interface. Desktops and laptops should be hardwired too. Technically, you can hardwire an iPhone and an iPad too, but who likes to walk around with a wire?