PPP Going Down/Websites Timing Out
digitaldave1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since December I started having problems with webpages not loading and timing out. Then around May/June, The PPP connection started going down at random times from mins to many hours. The DSL light was always green. I changed the DNS provider to Google/8.8.8.8 and that didn't work.

I called Verizon in June and their line tests couldn't find any problems on their end. They sent me a new Actiontec GT784WNV Modem/Router, same model as I had before and still had problems. Sometimes the internet works with the internet light off and without an Verizon IP address and sometimes the upload connection only works.

I recently put the modem in bridge mode connecting it with the TP-Link Archer A7 and nothing has change.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: PPP Going Down/Websites Timing Out
digitaldave1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Internet was fixed two weeks ago and had no problems since then. They didn't say what the problem was. As for the DSL mode, it didn't matter which one was used. T1.413 usually gives the best stats. The SNR Downstream was about 20db and CRC Errors were lower. The modem is back in bridge mode, so I can't see the stats now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please post the DSL transceiver status from that modem combo.

#1 As to where that info is in that modem combo:

a) Go to Status -> WAN Status.

b)  Do not post or show any else other than Broadband Status. So for example from https://setuprouter.com/router/actiontec/gt784wnv/status-87335-large.htm I do not care the info that is under Connection or PPP Status.

c) If you wish to show/post PPP Status, fine with one catch - please do not show/post the user name.

#2 It does not matter if it in router mode or bridge to get that info.

For bridge modem and you do not want to put it into router mode, see How to get into a modem/router that is in bridge mode 

digitaldave1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

Broadband Parameter Status

VPI:0
VCI:35
Broadband Mode Setting:T1.413
Broadband Negotiated Mode:T1.413
Connection Status:CONNECTED
Downstream Speed:3360 Kbps
Upstream Speed:864 Kbps
Retrains:1
Retrain Timer:0 Days, 0H:13M:36S
ATM QoS class:UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:11866
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :125
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :21624
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :6742
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :68
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :0
SNR Downstream :11 dB
SNR Upstream :6 dB
Attenuation Downstream :40 dB
Attenuation Upstream :20 dB
Power Downstream7.6 dBm
Power Upstream4.8 dBm
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, sorry for the delay.

To see the non bogan/public/true WAN IPv4 Address one of the sites that you can use is https://whatismyipaddress.com/ds-check

By

even if it not a Static IP.

It is ok if the non bogan/public/true WAN IPv4 Address changes, but otherwise all of the computers should be coming from the same non bogan/public/true WAN IPv4 Address.

If you do not have any computers wired to your own router behind that modem combo, I would suggest that too just to help make sure that all of the computers are coming from the same non bogan/public/true WAN IPv4 Address.

REF = DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US ISPs non-cable -> Verizon DSL -> [Connectivity] How is/are the...

Got feedback for your issue.

The OPs post is pretty confusing

@digitaldave1982 wrote:

Sometimes the internet works with the internet light off and without an Verizon IP address and sometimes the upload connection only works.

This is impossible. The first thing that comes to mind is OP is using WiFi and accidentally connecting to someone else AP.

Depending on what pages the OP is going to he may not actually be going to live site live but the browser is playing back cached pages. To test go to a site he has not been to in a long time when he has a problem.

Since OP has access to the modem status page have him check if line is syncing when he is unable to use the internet. Back when I had Verizon DSL had multiple occasions where I was unable to maintain the PPPoE session. This was due to problems on their end and nothing I could do about it.

As DSLR user rollinraver (ID 622895) posted OPs line stats look great so problems are probably not due to the physical DSL connection but elsewhere in the Verizon system.

I feel that in the 13 mins since the retrain, the number of errors shouldn’t be that high. I would hook up a phone and check for static/other noise on the line.

Funny thing about static, it does NOT usually show up on the MLT test (copper line test)

It COULD account for the break in the PPP session.

Ruling out the static, it’s most likely an issue upstream in one of the switches the signal goes through on its way to the gateway router (usually an erx1440). Further testing beyond what India normally performs would verify that. Field techs can reach out to the MCO for such testing. So the “fix” will be getting a tech dispatched and get tier 2 testing performed.

^^^^

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like your modem's ADSL mode was changed to T.1413 mode. Can you try setting it to "MMODE" or "G.DMT" mode? You'll find this in your modem's web interface under the Broadband Settings > DSL Settings section, in a drop down box called "Line Mode"

MMODE will work the best, generally, as the modem and DSLAM will negotiate the best mode to use.

Once changed, expect your connection to go down and then come back up. Wait about 15 minutes, then re-post with your new Transceiver Statistics. Also let us know if the connection works any better.

digitaldave1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Internet was fixed two weeks ago and had no problems since then. They didn't say what the problem was. As for the DSL mode, it didn't matter which one was used. T1.413 usually gives the best stats. The SNR Downstream was about 20db and CRC Errors were lower. The modem is back in bridge mode, so I can't see the stats now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear you're all fixed up!