PPPoE login & password using DSL modem in bridging mode?
tom5490
Enthusiast - Level 2

My DSL modem is a Westell 6100G. I want to use a router with it, to run a home LAN, so I configured my DSL modem in bridging mode (see http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 ). My understanding is that my router has to take over some functions that are  performed by the DSL modem if it is connected directly to a computer. I am now trying to configure my router to handle these functions. In particular, I am not certain whether I should use the DHCP mode or the PPPoE mode. I tried DHCP mode and cloned the MAC address of the DSL modem, but there is still no Internet connection. I tried PPPoE mode, but I am uncertain what login to use. I tried the login for the configuration screen of my DSL modem (default is 'admin' and 'password', but I changed them). I tried the default, I tried what I changed the default to, and I tried my Verizon online account login. None of these work. Is there another login that the DSL modem knows about that I don't? How do I find out what the login and password are and/or have them reset? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Tom.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: PPPoE login & password using DSL modem in bridging mode?
tom5490
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found out that the login and password for the PPPoE connection are the same as the those to log in to the website. The problem that I was having was with apparently with the router. I was trying to use a Linksys WRV54G Wireless-G VPN Broadband Router, and I could not get an Internet connection with it once the DSL modem (Westell 6100G) was in bridge mode. As soon as I tried another router, everything was fine. I don't know whether the Linksys was defective or whether it has some problem with the PPPoE function.

View solution in original post

tom5490
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found out that the login and password for the PPPoE connection are the same as the those to log in to the website. The problem that I was having was with apparently with the router. I was trying to use a Linksys WRV54G Wireless-G VPN Broadband Router, and I could not get an Internet connection with it once the DSL modem (Westell 6100G) was in bridge mode. As soon as I tried another router, everything was fine. I don't know whether the Linksys was defective or whether it has some problem with the PPPoE function.

TimH22
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi - I have a Westell 727W modem and I am wondering what the Username and PAssword are to get in and manage the modem.  I tried my Verizon UN/PW combination but this does not seem to be correct.  The thread I am looking at is http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/networking/troubleshooting/portforwa... and it implies that the default UN is 'admin'.....but if this is the case then I forget what the password is (since it said I created it when I set up the system.  Is there a way to reset this PW on the modem at all?

thanks!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The default usernames and passwords are normally:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/verizon

admin/verizon1

If admin/password allows you to log in, the modem will ask you to change the password.

TimH22
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions! The admin/admin worked to enable me to login so I am in now.  I do not see the Westell menu as expected and instead see a Verizon modem menu.  I wanted to set up port forwarding and have instructions to do that via the Westell menu.....but I cannot see quite where this is located on the Verizon modem menu?  I will not have a chance to check back until this evening when I get home but if any suggestions on this I would appreciate it.

thanks again!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Port Forwarding is found under the Firewall Settings section, and it has it's own category in the left hand side navigation. If you're running the Verizon firmware the guide you linked to should be the same, especially on an older 327w from Westell. You could also have some older Verizon firmware that has a white background but works similarly, but I believe all of those should have been upgraded by now.

When you're logged into the modem, do you see a white and blue Westell site or a white Verizon page, or do you see the Red and Black page as described in the tutorial?

0 Likes
TimH22
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks again!  I have a Westell D90-327W15-06 modem and the background is red with white menus (just like in the tutorial).  It is a Verizon menu and not a white/blue Westell menu.  I see the Port Forwarding now under the Firewall secion (wasn't looking there reviously).  I guess this thread is deviating from the topic quite a bit now so apologies for that (PPPoE login & password using DSL modem in bridging mode).  I see several other areas in the menu including the Firmware upgrade which I may check as well.../  Thanks fir your help.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome 🙂

0 Likes