Packet Loss
SpaceMonkey1
Enthusiast - Level 1

For the past couple of days, I've been experiencing packet loss. Around 13 percent.

I use NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R7000-100NAS) as my router. I started using this a few weeks ago with plans of returning my old Verizon router to Verizon.

When I noticed the packet loss this last night, I thought maybe it was my router, so I hooked up the Verizon router.

I tried hard wiring into the routers. No luck. Still 13 percent packet loss.

Then I tried wiring one of my laptops directly into the Verizon ONT using the ethernet cable that snaked to my living room from the basement. Still 13 percent packet loss.

Next, I went directly to the Version ONT in my basement, unplugged the long ethernet cable the went to my living room, and I plugged in a short ethernet cable into the ONT. I plugged in my laptop to the other end of the ethernet cable. I performed a test and got 0 percent packet loss.

The issue must be the long ethernet cable that they snaked to my living room? Well, I don't think it is because I then unplugged my laptop and tried out one of the routers (brought the routers to the basement) with the short ethernet cable.

Tried wireless from the basement. 13 percent packet loss from both of them. Even if I plug directly into the router using short cables in the basement.

Could something be wrong with the Verizon ONT? I am relatively new to this house. Moved-in in August. Verizon told me the ONT was installed around 11 years ago. I'm kind of at a loss as to what could be causing the packet loss. I thought for sure it was the cable, but that doesn't appear to be it.

In any case, I have a technician coming on Monday to replace that ethernet cable that I originally thought was the culprit, but I don't think that is the problem anymore since the router performance didn't improve with a short cable. Is there anything else I can tell him to look at?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Packet Loss
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the ONT is 11 years old, it is possible that it could be the cause given that multiple cables were used including connecting the computer directly to the ONT.

Also, the ONT, if it is anything other than an Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211, consider replacing it. Also a review of Verizon's current offerings might be worthwhile. 🙂

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the ONT is 11 years old, it is possible that it could be the cause given that multiple cables were used including connecting the computer directly to the ONT.

Also, the ONT, if it is anything other than an Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211, consider replacing it. Also a review of Verizon's current offerings might be worthwhile. 🙂

SpaceMonkey1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!